Looking for DIY irrigation system advice

I’m looking to set up a 6 to 8 line irrigation system in my tent. I’ve been combing through manifolds and valves but wanted to see other peoples layouts. Keep in mind I’m more of a DIY guy so im not so much interested in buying a complete system unless it’s something better then what I can build myself. Thanks

2 Likes

Eventually my goal is to incorporate some sort of controller into the system for more of a self sustaining system. @merlin44 you know of any good automated irrigation controllers?

3 Likes

I have not looked into anything like that @imSICKkid, all of my automation is using an industrial PLC. With a PLC you can program it to do about anything that you can imagine assuming that you have installed the appropriate I/O modules and field devices.

While I have not automated the watering and feeding, every other aspect of my growing environment is controlled by the PLC. Incorporating watering and feeding is easy from a technical standpoint. You just need to have, again, the appropriate field devices to sense and control soil moisture levels along with pH and PPM of water/nutrient reservoirs.

More appropriate for hydro than soil I would think but possible either way.

3 Likes

I have used a floraflex 8 port manifold attached to a small pump. The pump has 1/2" threads and so does the manifold which makes plumbing easy. Use a timer that can go down to a single minute of run time. Make sure the manifold is higher than the drip emitters. No need for a check valve or any if you’re running a single pump/reservoir. Can be done well for less than $100.

3 Likes

I was looking at that floraflex system. I like the manifold but I probably wouldn’t get the whole kit. I thought about throwing those green squares on top of my pots lol

2 Likes

Way fancier than the pex manifold with solinoid valves i thought we were so clever to use to build my first attempt at automation haha :wink:

3 Likes

Use any 6, 8, 10 or 12 port irrigation manifold. There are a lot better ones than floraflex. The squares are ok, but they don’t really do much to disperse the water unless you’re gushing water. Using a couple irrigation stakes per pot works just fine.

3 Likes

I’m still brainstorming with my bong and pencil. I’ll come up with something. I’m always a huge skeptic so it’s hard to settle on product reviews lol

2 Likes

Whatever you end up choosing, make sure either the manifold or the emitters are metered. That way you know the same amount of water is coming out, regardless of how long the tube is or where it is in your garden.
Let us know what you come up with!

3 Likes

I was gonna have some buckets to measure the amount of each line after I set it up. Figured that would be sufficient. I liked the manifolds that had individual port adjusters. Seems like an end all fix

2 Likes

I tried to throttle my manifold but it didnt work well. A flow meter wiuld have been great for sure

2 Likes

Pressure compensating emitter. They keep all lines dripping the same. Super useful things.

3 Likes