Looking to build Greenhouse space - which one is best

Hello ABS, I’m here representing Agra Tech Greenhouse Manufactures. We specialize in high tech greenhouses; closed loop positive pressure, insect exclusion, research & development facilities. Sounds like we may be a perfect partner for your project. Just curious, where will the project be located? Any time frame for when you’re looking to have it in operation? Let me know if you want to hop on a call sometime.

Thank you,

Dan Monk

3 Likes

Looking at greenhouse material. Does anyone have a preference or favorite greenhouse skin material that will hold up will in hot, arid, and sunny desert conditions?

1 Like

Hey Nick,

Great question. I just saw a post from @SeanM talking about their greenhouse covers. I think Sean should jump in on this question. Or, you can check out his recent Vendor Corner post with a couple pictures of their materials, here.

Happy chatting and growing!

~Kareenabis~
Success Coach

2 Likes

Thanks Sean! That was a very detailed response. I have a much better idea of what I am looking for now. I’ll reach out soon!

2 Likes

Are you limited to only polyethylene? If yes, what are you using to attach the poly? Wiggle wire?

2 Likes

Hi Monk
we’ve installed all kinds of covers
we’ve used wiggle wire, alum caps, PVC
poly is the least long lasting
compare polycarbonate,Acrylic or glass in the work we do for greenhouse company’s
I can discuss the attributes of each material I you like
Mark McGinn
Mountain Shore Inc.

3 Likes

@markmountainshore I agree, UV degrades poly much faster than other coverings on the market. It is cheaper upfront, but you will have to replace it more often compared to other materials like Polycarbonate.

@Growernick If you are limited to poly you can try some tricks to extend its life. Damage typical happens at wear points (where the poly is attached, where the poly rubs on roof arches, etc…)

UV degrades poly, if you’re using wiggle wire, make sure you use coated wires and you can try to use a material under your WW like polyester webbing to block the UV rays from degrading the poly at the wires contact points.

Agra Lock is an aluminum poly lock that we sell, its design blocks all the contact points from the sun which helps extend the life of the poly at the attachment points. You can also try adding some extra roof purlins to help keep your poly from sagging and rubbing on your roof arches.

In my opinion, polycarbonate is king in hot arid climates. Our vendors warranty 15 - 20 years against yellowing on their polycarb. Some times you don’t have the option, if that’s the case poly will work fine for a handful of years. I’m sure other members here have tips for how they extending the life of their poly. I would be interested to hear.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

1 Like

Hey guys, Dan and Grower Nick
Love to hear about 15-20 year warranty polycarbonate, I’ve only seen 10 years and its usually pretty yellow by then, especially in Arizona and Colorado where we did much work I’ve much work Ive found Acrylic and glass much more resilient and last much long than 15-20 years yet more expensive.
Mark
markmountainshore@yahoo.com

2 Likes

I like these guys

2 Likes

Glass is the best!

2 Likes

As consultants we look at the whole picture…product, installation & service. That being said, we are very pleased with all aspects of FarmTek’s greenhouse offerings. This company has been servicing the traditional ag space for decades and in the last few years has made a serious commitment to supporting the cannabis industry. The team at FarmTek really works together to make sure all processes integrate seamlessly…from design & quotation to manufacturing & shipping to installation & training. Here is a link to their “cannabis” page on their online catalog. Oh and by the way, they offer in-house financing and that is BIG deal.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft_ag_growing_supplies;ft_cannabis.html

3 Likes

Amerilux Lexan 8mm Twinwall Polycarbonate has a 20 year warranty. “will not lose more than 4% light transmission or change more than 5 Delta from the original yellowing index of 0 over a twenty year period”
https://www.ameriluxinternational.com/lexan_thermoclear_15.php

Their corrugated polycarbonate caries a 10 year warranty. Amerilux supplies a quality product, we have worked with them for decades. They stand by their product.

-Dan

2 Likes

Hi All,

I’m here representing Gro-Tech Systems. We manufacture our patented light deprivation greenhouse systems and structures with a background as licensed HVAC contractors. Our light dep systems can also be retrofitted to any other manufacturer’s frame of any size.

Our structures are designed to scale as you grow, and we pre-assemble our trusses and other sections to make the building process simple and quick while remaining accurate.

I would be happy to help answer any questions you might have, and please feel free to DM me if there are questions specific to your project or grow that you would like to discuss. Below are some images from one of our commercial grows in Southern California. You can also check out our site here for more information about our systems and who we have worked with:

5 Likes

Hello Lucas,

Interested to hear your thoughts on glass. We have had our best experiences with Polycarbonate. Stronger than acrylic and much stronger than glass. lower install and maintenance costs compared to glass with comparable light transmission. Superior fire resistance compared to acrylic.

Where are you located? We usually find ourselves bidding against glass houses up north where the sun is less intense (Canada for example) because they want to do everything they can to gain 1-2% light transmission and some extra heat.

-Dan

3 Likes

Have any questions about greenhouses?

AMA With Adam Pound from Agra Tech Greenhouse Manufactures TODAY 10/31 11am PST

1 Like

Yay woven polys are back. Some of the best grows I have ever seen are under woven poly with red shift built in. The woven poly that came out of Elat was to avant-garde for growers of the 1990’s USA. But wow what you could do with that stuff was amazing. I saw it first in a greenhouse in Baldwin, Kansas. You could see those house from 50 miles away.

Still a holdout for glass.

Ethan

3 Likes

What did you pick! Tell me nexus or stuppy high profile. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are building a Nextg3n this year. They are a newer company but by no means inexperienced. Developed by Conley’s son, Josh Conley. Supposed to have one of the best curtain systems on the market.

2 Likes

We’d love to see pics of the construction and some feedback once you get that greenhouse jammed with plants!

2 Likes