MAC by MAZ 🍋

My tent was empty for too long……

Made a move today.

Grabbed two miracle alien cookie teen clones. They were in 1 gallon buckets so I threw them into 3 gallon bags. Used some happy frog and some ocean forest soil mixed together. Once they’re settled in, I’ll flip them to flower- probably in the next week or two.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Also in the tent rn….

Lemon tree project my wife and I have going on. We grew these from seed starting back in the spring. Just transplanted them into bigger pots today too.

Apparently it takes quite a while to have a fruiting lemon tree so this is a multi year long project.

Anyone have inside knowledge on growing of lemon or citrus trees?

8 Likes

I went straight to the picture and thought “that’s some strange looking pot plants” :rofl:

I have no 1st hand knowledge of growing fruit trees. I do know it’s typically a few years before and fruit tree will produce fruit. I’d assume the same with citrus. I don’t live in a zone citrus would over winter outside.

7 Likes

I don’t, but this year I bought a lemon tree seedling from somebody on Facebook Marketplace and it is growing quite well. I have no idea what I’m doing with it yet. Haven’t had time to research how to grow. My ex husband grew a lime and a lemon tree and it actually came to fruition but I never had the chance to try one. We just let them sit outside on the deck next to the house, South side and it did fine on its own. I don’t think my ex did much with it. Just let it grow. I did read enough to see that it can take 3-5 years to get fruit for my new little plant. I love it. I hope that you will share your progress from time to time and I’ll try to share mine. :slight_smile: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :seedling:

5 Likes

Heya @Maz

Lemons are like avo’s and apples. You wont know what you got until the tree fruits. Best to take a cutting off a fruiting tree. I have a lemon tree that has been growing for 6 years, never produced one lemon. My seedless lime tree was grown at the same time and produces wheel barrows of seedless limes.

10 Likes

Damn “wheel barrows of lime” wow!

8 Likes

That’s awesome! What does one do with that many limes? :laughing:

We knew going into this it would take a long time to see the fruits of our labor. -see what I did there- They were seeds from my mothers lemon tree that produces the best lemons ever. Kinda trying to keep that genetic line alive I guess?

I started with 5 and lost one due to a weird seed germination abnormality. One of these was being eaten by a caterpillar until I picked him off. Anyway the 4 that remain all seem healthy for now. The roots were just reaching the bottom of the cups they were in so perfect timing for up-potting them.

During the summer months I get good sunlight out back. Rest of the year there’s not enough hours of light back there, that’s why the lemons will be inside for the winter……taking up space in the tent. I’ll probably end up getting a separate tent just for them :joy:

5 Likes

Unfortunately they came out very stringy ( if I can say that ) it was due to lack of water. This year I am putting some drippers into the orchard to give the water the trees require, then we see. Usually I gave them to neighbours and the local pub.

6 Likes

Lemon tree update :lemon:

They seem to be doing well in their new home. I used a bag of citrus palm and cactus soil for these, I don’t think I mentioned that before. They went from seeing maybe 6-10 hours of sunlight to 18 hours and have adjusted without issue. Happy tent dwellers.

On the other hand the MAC is not doing so hot. Seems to be a little too much N in this soil mix and we have some clawing going on. All of the new growth is dark greenish. Not sure what soil they were in before but maybe the ocean forest dirt was a little strong right out of the bag. I mixed in some happy frog too but it was mostly ocean forest.

Just gave them a big drink of clean water and they seem to be looking a little better.

6 Likes

Looking better today. I’ve got them headed in the right direction now

8 Likes

What do you think the problem was?

2 Likes

Just a heads up, MAC is genetically droopy, with upward clawing of serrations. A friend of mine has grown it for a few years now. Yours looks good imo.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

I can’t say for sure but here’s my idea. I transplanted them into some “hot” ocean forest soil and gave them a light feeding at the same time. Must have been too much at once.

4 Likes

MAC update
Just flipped these girls to 12/12 so that they’d be done by Christmas :santa: Looking much better now

7 Likes

Looks sweet Maz! Awesome grow!

3 Likes

Hey Maz, just thought I might chime in here on your citrus project…

First remember all citrus are grafted (selected fruit scion on rootstock). The rootstock is important because it’s selected to be hardy, vigorous, and desease resistant…

Doesn’t mean you cant get away with planting a seed and letting her go…just be aware it can be dicey if there are any soil pathogens…

Another hint is you can ‘air layer’ citrus very well if you have access to your mom’s tree.
Air layering will give you a larger plant to start with and a ready to plant root system…

Good luck, it’s always nice to have a lemon tree in the yard ! Just watch out for the damn thorns !!!

6 Likes

Agreed…:+1:t3:

3 Likes

We do still have access to the tree and I’m going to try this for sure. I’ve been researching this for the last hour or so! :lemon:

Looks easy!

6 Likes