MAC by MAZ 🍋

Lemon tree update :lemon:

They seem to be doing well in their new home. I used a bag of citrus palm and cactus soil for these, I don’t think I mentioned that before. They went from seeing maybe 6-10 hours of sunlight to 18 hours and have adjusted without issue. Happy tent dwellers.

On the other hand the MAC is not doing so hot. Seems to be a little too much N in this soil mix and we have some clawing going on. All of the new growth is dark greenish. Not sure what soil they were in before but maybe the ocean forest dirt was a little strong right out of the bag. I mixed in some happy frog too but it was mostly ocean forest.

Just gave them a big drink of clean water and they seem to be looking a little better.

6 Likes

Looking better today. I’ve got them headed in the right direction now

8 Likes

What do you think the problem was?

2 Likes

Just a heads up, MAC is genetically droopy, with upward clawing of serrations. A friend of mine has grown it for a few years now. Yours looks good imo.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

I can’t say for sure but here’s my idea. I transplanted them into some “hot” ocean forest soil and gave them a light feeding at the same time. Must have been too much at once.

4 Likes

MAC update
Just flipped these girls to 12/12 so that they’d be done by Christmas :santa: Looking much better now

7 Likes

Looks sweet Maz! Awesome grow!

3 Likes

Hey Maz, just thought I might chime in here on your citrus project…

First remember all citrus are grafted (selected fruit scion on rootstock). The rootstock is important because it’s selected to be hardy, vigorous, and desease resistant…

Doesn’t mean you cant get away with planting a seed and letting her go…just be aware it can be dicey if there are any soil pathogens…

Another hint is you can ‘air layer’ citrus very well if you have access to your mom’s tree.
Air layering will give you a larger plant to start with and a ready to plant root system…

Good luck, it’s always nice to have a lemon tree in the yard ! Just watch out for the damn thorns !!!

6 Likes

Agreed…:+1:t3:

3 Likes

We do still have access to the tree and I’m going to try this for sure. I’ve been researching this for the last hour or so! :lemon:

Looks easy!

6 Likes

I’ve read that lemon trees thrive at 70 and go dormant when the soil stays below 55 degrees. So based on the weather and the season I might not try this until the spring. The lows here are in the 50’s but it’s cooling off more each week it seems.

Still gonna let the seedling experiment play out as well :lemon:

2 Likes

Yup, if you take a 16 oz soda bottle, cut the bottom off. Now you can slip the cap end down on the wood. You want the cap opening about 4" below where you took the bark off.Fill the bottle full of coco coir, peat or sphagum moss and seal the top off…I use a frito lays bean dip plastic top…just slice it half across and cut a hole to match your branch diameter in the middle. The whole trick is keeping air OUT so your graft doesn’t dry out and heal. you want it moist but not sopping wet…you can put a few small drill holes down on the neck near the cap end for drainage. LOL before you know it you’ll be air layering everything!! Works really well on any woody ornamentals…have fun!!

4 Likes

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

The Alien cookies are looking good. One week from flip now

5 Likes

These girls got that week 3 / Guy Fieri thing goin on right now

5 Likes

Ive been feeding with organic blackstrap molasses for the last 10 days or so and they seem to love it. I recommend you look into this if you haven’t yet :+1:t4:

Feed the soil!!

2 Likes

Gonna make this the cover of my biography

:robot:

6 Likes

Would you please tell me how you use blackstrap molasses? I mean, like ratio, how to apply, etc.? Thank you for any info!!

Love your book cover!

3 Likes

1-2 tablespoons mixed into a gallon of water
@1sttimegrower

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I tried to find an easy how to during my flowering stage in September but didn’t find one and I was too scared to play with ratios. LOL. I’m gonna do this next time! Thank you!

3 Likes