Meet the Woman that Changed CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Mind about Cannabis

You may have seen Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s series about cannabis on CNN. He was at one time a critic of marijuana, but in a widely publicized article, “Why I Changed My Mind on Weed,” he wrote: “I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.”

Months prior to this reversal of opinion, Gupta’s producers at CNN had several long conversations with Genifer Murray, who at that time was the founder of Colorado’s first state-certified cannabis testing laboratory. Murray, who has a degree in microbiology, was an ardent supporter of medical marijuana, but more than that she was a believer in science.

Her lab was the first to test the low-THC, high-CBD compound that eventually became known as “Charlotte’s Web,” named after the case of Charlotte Figi. By age 3, Charlotte was having 300 seizures a week, despite being on seven different medications. When she was finally given this special strain of medical marijuana, it calmed her brain and lowered her seizures to 2 or 3 per month.

Murray met with Gupta and was the first to tell him about the science behind the plant’s properties. She introduced the doctor to Charlotte’s parents and to the Stanley Brothers, the creators of “Charlotte’s Web.”

549788_10151527719847505_1570933017_n_preview

Murray was ranked one of the 100 Most Influential People in the Cannabis Industry by Cannabis Business Executive Magazine, and Cannabis Industry Woman of the Year by CannaNews, and was featured in Women of Weed in Inc magazine. She has worked harder than virtually anyone to promote a safe and regulated cannabis industry.

Murray was instrumental in changing Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s mind about cannabis, and that led to a massive transformation in public perception. After Gupta’s wrote about the benefits of cannabis, polls showed that more Americans were in favor of legalization.

Today, Murray continues to advocate for medical marijuana but has turned her attention to her line of cannabis-inspired jewelry. Genifer M Jewelry is the nation’s first upscale cannabis jewelry collection and can be found in select dispensaries, jewelry stores, and the company’s website.

Gupta wrote, “I have seen more patients like Charlotte first hand, spent time with them and come to the realization that it is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana.”

“We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States,” Gupta wrote. “and I apologize for my own role in that.”
— DR. SANJAY GUPTA

And we thank Genifer Murray for her role in changing his mind.

Learn More at www.GeniferM.com/press

2 Likes