Mel Frank collection cheaper and better genes

Awesome Todd, thanks for posting :wink:

3 Likes

I have to say it : Thank you @todd.mccormick for making time to answer our queries about genetics, thatā€™s very nice of you! :nerd_face:
So Iā€™ll ask : What is your favorite Haze and why (if you donā€™t mind)?
And do you have a favorite day time strain for busy days? If so, which on is it?

4 Likes

And the same questions goes to you as well @piper!
I respect both of your opinions. And I am curious AF!!! :nerd_face:

1 Like

The old GHaze :slight_smile: (Dutch Flowers)

2 Likes

Day time strain of favorite Haze? Maybe both???

1 Like

Thanks for the information and your time! Muchly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not have a specific favorite Haze, but that said, there is a terpene profile that is spicy and reminiscent of the original ā€œNorthern Lights #5 x Hazeā€ that I first smoked at the cannabis castle back in 1994.

The same spicy terpene combination can also be found in ā€œNevilā€™s Hazeā€ and is the scent and taste (and high) that truly got me hooked on Haze.

It was the old NL5xHaze combination that inspired me to make the crosses that are featured in my collection. I felt as if the NL5 was just one color out of a rainbow of elite clone-only cultivars that we now have floating around California, and by putting ON Haze to it was kinda like applying a neon filter over a primary color, with the goal of making it brighter without losing its original tone.

Original Haze is not the best smoke on its own, but it is magical when you breed it with other plants, as Sam the Skunkman often stated; ā€œHaze makes everything else betterā€.

My overall goal with my Haze projects is twofold:

I am bringing Original Haze seeds to the market by reproducing them as an IBL in my greenhouse under the guidance of Sam the Skunkman.

Second, I am looking to bring back high-energy and inspirational varieties of cannabis that perhaps take longer (10 to 13, as opposed to 8 to 10 weeks) to flower and have more of a morning coffee effect, rather than a sedative relaxing one.

The over 60 varieties that I crossed with my male ON Haze plant represent a pretty full spectrum of the terpenes available in cannabis today.

In the future, cannabis competitions will not be based on incorrect terminology such as Indica & sativa, but instead it will be based upon the highest expressed terpene tested on that plant. Meaning plants that are mostly yellow would be completing with other plants that are mostly yellow, and we would not be trying to compare black-and-white cannabis flowers when they were very different in the first place.

Your favorite Haze combination will depend upon your favored terpene profile, which is why I created a range for all to try.

Hope that helps.
TM

4 Likes

I love beta-caryaphylleneā€¦ all black strains etcā€¦ as in Black Domina etcā€¦ what is your recommendation for a potent beta-caryaphyllene strainā€¦

2 Likes

How far are you in that project? Are you getting close to release?
Like a lot of people, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™ve been hunting. I need to take cannabis for my pains but I want to be active and awake for a productive day of work.

1 Like

That project is ongoing but much of it was completed last year and is available here:

ON Haze has turned OG Kush into a uplifting yet distinctly OGK high.

5 Likes

There are a lot of them in my collection, while I have not had time to have them all tested for terpenes, Leafly did post a list of varieties that were high in caryophyllene and I used many of them in my crosses with ON Haze:

GSC (GSC x ON Haze in in my collection)
Bubba Kush (Pre-98 Bubba Kush x ON Haze is in my collection)
Sour Diesel (in in 3 of the crosses in my collection)
Original Glue (Also called Superglue and in my collection)
Gelato (Gelato-33 x ON Haze is in my collection)
The White (The White x ON Haze is there)
Master Kush (is most likely an OG Kush variant)

7 Likes

Iā€™ve recently popped some ā€œGSCā€,ā€Super Lemon Hazeā€ and a couple CBD( AC/DC and

Harlequin)ā€¦Iā€™m not seeing ANY signs of Sativaā€¦I donā€™t want to call the seed provider out until Iā€™m sureā€¦Have you ever seen SLH with thick Indica leaves?

1 Like

Iā€™ve grown SLH from Greenhouse Seed co. for years. The leaves are definitely that dark green color and are matte, not waxy/shiny. The leaves also tend to be smallish.

They are not the very narrow leaves that you might be looking for, but those are characteristic of strains that are very close to their original landrace sativa roots. Those will hang out for 11-12 weeks in flower. Most sativas have been touched with something else if only to bring down the flowering time.

I kept this for personal stash because it was one of the most creative and inspiring strains. You should be able to tell by the smoke if it is the real thing. If not you grew something else that is probably good in its own right.

1 Like

skunk no1 is a legend i have the original colombian gold from the 1970s. i also have the original durban poison that was brought to the usa. and later was took to holland . my seeds came from a old boy in holland that aquired it when it first landed in holland. before it was worked on by the seed banks. i know mine is the real deal. as some of my plants Hermie sometimes just like the original when it first landed in the usa. all the best guys from

3 Likes

@automatik check this out

1 Like

Does anyone have info on seedbank.co?

I caught them stealing my photos to use on their site this week and I would love to hear your thoughts on seed companies stealing photos and misrepresenting the seeds that they are selling.

Thanks,
Todd

4 Likes