More start up questions

Do I need a vent if I am not using a tent? I have a 15x15 room just for my grow.

How/when do I start my first journal?
Do I start a new thread with every question or just go back to the old one?

What I have so far:
Mars Hydro TSL2000W
Advanced Nutrients
Happy Frog soil with coco to add a bit
Ph and TDS tester
5’ light rack
5g fabric pots
Solo cups for seedlings
Timer
Microscope

Seeds I chose:
Critical Purple auto
Northern Lights auto
Grape Ape fem

I’m gonna try the GP outside

Thank you all so much for your help!

@kapouic
@hoppiefrog
@oldguy
@PreyBird1
@deusoboy420
@macgyver_stoner

7 Likes

Are you planning to grow in the open room, and not inside a tent?

4 Likes

Yes. I can get a tent but I am choosing not to. I have heard both and some have said tents are basically to hide your grow. I don’t have that problem and have a nice bedroom I can use for the grow. Emptied it out and ready to go. Just waiting on a few more pieces of equipment and my seeds :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No matter where or how you grow you will need to vent your room and have some source of air in so you can vent properly. You can post all questions In your journal unless you don’t get a quick enough answer (then I’d probably make a new thread so ppl can see it on the top page;)

6 Likes

Looks like you will be off to a great start tho;)

2 Likes

I’d still suggest a tent. Keeping temperature and humidity stable is key to growing happy plants. A basement bedroom isn’t much mother nature.

5 Likes

When you decide! It could be when you begin your research, when you soak your seeds, when you start the seedlings in bigger pots… anytime you wish!

No, once you start your journal, just add any info you want in the order you want by hitting the reply button at the bottom. It’s easier if you keep everything in one place.
And don’t forget, whatever you wish to journal will help you later to keep track of things… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The room isn’t in the basement. It is on my main floor. I don’t know if that matters.

I have also blacked out the window and painted the room white. I have several fans placed around the room and also have a portable heater/air to adjust room temperature along with a humidifier and dehumidifier.

Not sure how to go about venting per se.

5 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong growers, but I think a a.c. unit would help.
The idea is to recycle the air in the room. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Yes. An a/c unit will help but Still going to need a fresh air in and exhaust out. Venting.
It’s the exchange of room air that’s needed.:+1::v:

2 Likes

Hmmm gonna have to figure this one out. Not sure how to accomplish this. I’ll keep you all posted.

5 Likes

This is why i use a tent! Humidity control! @devjyarn thats exactly it! you hit the nail on the head. Plus a lot op people forget plants do get 40% of there light from the edges.

3 Likes

Hey @devjyarn im in a huge tent in the basement now and i made venting today. Lucky for me i have an unused fireplace in the basement. I took a 25’ chiminey liner kit $179 and removed the flu flap from the chiminey. Climed up on the roof like 6 times. And installed it in 3 hrs. I took the top vent cap and squeezed it down so it would fit under my existing chiminey cap. Sealed it all with roof and gutter tar.

7 Likes

That looks amazing. I can promise my happy ass isn’t doing anything remotely like that hahaha.
I am looking for a port-a-vent at the moment.

5 Likes

Thankyou for the compliment.
Lol i am an overdoer. I like to do things to the max. Im going to connect my ozone generator in between the tent and the venting i installed going up and out the chiminey.

5 Likes

A cheap heat pump is an asset!! (Or a great one even better!) And can you vent to a attic or basement or a window?

5 Likes

Check out what a light baffle box looks like u build them w plywood and 2x4 s super easy and no light gets out the window and it’s secure too. U can build it so there’s a curtain in the window. Only thing window needs to stay open to work. If u do it right it’s water proof too :wink:

4 Likes

Investigating that immediately.

Thanks so much!

6 Likes

I may just say screw it and do my seedlings in the house and then move them outside for now until I can figure out the vent situation. I don’t want to put holes in the bedroom walls at this point.

I live on 4 acres and have nothing but privacy so that may be my best option.

However Chicago is not known for our balmy weather.

I do have a gazebo that is enclosed that I can attach my light to and grow under that on rainy overcast days.

Thoughts on this?

7 Likes

I say try it! You won’t kill your plants if you care for them. You will learn plenty with your first run and then have a better idea on what you want to achieve. Even more so if it’s for your personal use!
What the growers are suggesting would help you achieve closer to the “ultimum” buds…like you see in High Times magazine. But you can have perfectly great bud with a bit less investment…

Have fun growing and keep learning…
But watch out… growing cannabis is Ultra addictive :nerd_face: :crazy_face:

5 Likes