Mother Plant Nutrient Needs

I have recently read some guidance that suggests mother plants need to be feed a little differently than a normal “veg” feeding plan. In particular, this guidance suggested limiting nitrogen in the nutrient mix and sticking to a 1:1 N:P ratio.

Does anyone here have any take on proper nutrition for keeping moms?

6 Likes

I’ve always fed them with lighter veg nutes and never had a prob tbh. Just trim and feed

Packee

4 Likes

I have always just done weekly flushes (in pro mix ) and had no issues , mind you I grow organically so little toxic salt build up

5 Likes

If you were to just want them to stay within a certain size, would you do that differently? I see where a grow op might treat a mother a bit differently than a hobbyist in that maybe growing them quickly to clone a lot versus just keeping a mother vegging for a long time as a hobbyist.

3 Likes

@pomeroymc, I know this isn’t always an option but I would lower the light intensity. Whether that be lowering wattage or changing lights all together, it will result in slower growth so long as everything else stays nearly the same - perhaps slightly lower nutrients though.
This is actually an experiment that I did at my house: vegged plants under a super small T5 to slow down their growth so that the other plants could catch up, and it worked very nicely!

Absolutely! Since I work in large scale, they want those mothers to grow as quickly as possible. :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, and I agree, lights play a huge roll in the growth rate of a plant. I love the abilities I have now in some of the DIY lights that some of my buddies (@dbrn32, thanks buddy! :kissing_heart:) have helped my husband and I put together. The potentiometer alone is priceless! We first put together some CRI-90 COBs replacing our 600 watts HID fixture and since then we have added a strip light fixture that my husband built me for Christmas. Can you tell what I love doing? LOL The control is so beneficial as a grower. Since improving our lights I have said that they are definitely our number one improvement as home hobbyist growers, we just love them.

Again, thank you for the wonderful reply! Nice to meet you, btw!!!

6 Likes

Sounds like you have quite a passion, that’s great!
Nice to meet you as well!

2 Likes

Cannabis/Marijuana has literally saved my life, so yeah, I truly am dedicated to always improving my knowledge and abilities to maintain a constant and steady supply of medicine for my husband and I both. I look forward to getting to know you better!

3 Likes