I have a system to germinate seeds that has worked for the past several runs - and usually I don’t fix something that’s not broken (well that’s not entirely true ) but there was something about it that I didn’t like - I have been soaking the seeds in a solution of inoculants and humics for 8-10 hours and then put into soil and under lights - I would never have a tail or even a cracked shell - 3-5 days later it would pop. Perfectly fine method and worked good -
However, I feel like I need to dial some things back - I tend to overdo - especially if its good stuff - I have come to a place where more is not always better - and sooner is not always better either -
I didn’t like the paper towel method but in someone’s thread - someone else (I am sorry but I didn’t bookmark it and don’t know who to give credit or to thank - but thank you) there was this video
Is Float Tech the Easiest Way to Germinating Seeds?
I decided to give it a try with some seeds that I can experiment and throw away -
So I took 3 different strains 4 seeds each
2 different cups with 2 seeds each - one only tap water 1, 3, 5
the other - RO water with a drop or two amounts of EM1, SLF100, Dr. Root, URB, Jump Start, coconut, Aloe, MiiM, Malted Barley in cups 2, 4, 6
I put them on top of a heat mat and in the dark - 3 days later ALL 6 of the seeds that were in the tap water only cups had germinated and had tails with the shell still attached - the 6 seeds in the solution had one or 2 slight and pathetic tails but nothing on the others - so I decided to go one step further and put them in a small cup of dirt and under some lights and here they are a couple of days later.
a couple needed some help to shed the shell but otherwise trouble free and I LOVE it - it is the easiest method so I am going to try a round with my high value seeds and go from there - I feel like I have been stunting the seedlings a little in the beginings of their life and I want to try a simpler and purer method.