Need help please!

Hi! I am a new grower trying to learn the craft. I have been having issues with yellow and browning in between the veins on some leaves. It is moving up from the bottom of the plant and I believe that means nutrient problem. I did a flush to try and corrected and the problem continued. My medium is rockwool and I have noticed what seems like calcium buildup on the underside of the cube. I have read through research that you need 15-30% runoff to push the old nutrients out of the bottom and should water 5-7 times a day.

I use Athena pro and my irritation is a floraflex micro drip. I am watering 1.5 ec in veg and flower.

So my first question is how do I achieve the 15-30% runoff without overwater my plants?

Also any advice or knowledge into what these leaf damages tell you would be appreciated! I only started growing about 4 months ago and I am trying to learn all the ins and outs of being a good grower!

Thank you for all your help!

7 Likes

Over watering means you don’t let it dry out some in between waterings. You water till a bit comes out. Not a ton. I do this by using measuring cups until i figure out how much i can pour without having to clean up a bunch lol.

tenor (1)
20210428_174651

9 Likes

Whoa whoa welcome to the community first!

Looks like your over doing it a little on the waterings. Reading about growing and putting it into actual real life are 2 different things. The calcium build up on the blocks is probably lock out that’s been happening overtime from to many nutrients. 5 - 7 feedings a day. What temps are you running? Is that a drain to waste system?

6 Likes

Looks like you also have some type of fungus on your leafs. I not sure what type. @TheMadFlascher might be able identify it for you.

7 Likes

Fungus among us where? You talking bout them spots? Thems be nute burn.

4 Likes

Also i cant see the new growth? Can you shoot a pic of the tops so we can see the new leaves and shoots growth. I wonder if you put the block onto anothe rockwool slab it might make the plants roots revive the new growth more. And i think the bkocks need to flushed here and there during/between feedings. I dont grow in blocks all the way to flower. I actually stopped using them all together.

6 Likes

@Slym3r I have never seen nute burn that looks like the areas I circled.

6 Likes

To me its looking like pH issues.

As for watering, 15-30% seems like a LOT of runoff.
I usually only go for 10% - but I’m growing in coco.

I thought rockwool was traditionally used for just establishing roots before moving onto another medium.

6 Likes

Some kind of burn. Nutes or ph issues. I do that to my home plants from not letting out the salt enough i believe. My rh in my room at home is usually crap so the plants don’t sweat.

1 Like

@codyjester,

Sorry to be late to the parade…been a little preoccupied lately…
This picture clearly illustrates your issue, and it’s not nute burn!!

Your problem is a fungus disease called Alternaria…do you see the brown ‘necrotic’ lesions…they are surrounded by a yellow halo…That is the hallmark giveaway of Alternaria infections.
They normally do begin on the lower leaves of the plant and if left untreated, randomly spread up the plant and continue to kill leaves.

The good news is you can stop it dead in it’s tracks with an application of hypochlorous acid. You may want to contact @nacho151, I believe he had the same issue earlier…he can help you out and if need be you can contact me via PM if you need more help.

Good Luck…Bob

PS…@codyjester…Welcome to the community! You’ll benefit greatly from all the experienced growers here on GN…an excellent group very generous to share their insights! If you can start a grow log and fill out all the relative information we can follow along with you and offer much more pertinent information if we know your inputs !

4 Likes

Slym3r,

LOL, you be da man, but I’m sorry…in this instance you’re full of s***

4 Likes

I thought it was Alternaria, but I wanted your opinion. Lol!

3 Likes

Hey, you’ve seen it and treated it successfully, so don’t be afraid to jump in and help others!!!

I think Alternaria, once you recognize it, is pretty hard to misdiagnose…(LOL, unless you’re Slym3r and been hittin the bong!!)

Sorry Slym3r, I can’t help myself from givin you the jab once in awhile!!! :wink: :upside_down_face: :blush:

5 Likes

@codyjester read this thread and it will help a lot to kill Alternaria. Defoliate every leaf with spots and treat every other day over 3 days with hydrogen peroxide until you can get the hypochlorous acid, them fog your plants with the hypochlorous acid. It will kill the fungus really fast! I almost forgot, Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

I think we are always full of poo… until we are not. Hahahaha

6 Likes

Don’t take me too serious in the morning…cause then I’m full of shit!

5 Likes

Sorry @codyjester couldnt resist… yes I’m a child.
Stuffing Sausage

6 Likes

What about this though Mr Bob? This is why i think this. I do it in veg at home and i defol all of it and push more nutes in flower.

6 Likes

10 hrs later…

or better

me, 10 hrs later : :eyes: :eyes:

6 Likes

I have pulse monitors to make sure my temp and humidity is keeping my Vpd in range. But with that being said veg is around 75-77°f and 60-62 RH. Yes I do drain to waste.

5 Likes