Need Light Recommendations please!

Hi! My new Gorilla 5x5 tent is on its way! Now I need to get the best lights I can afford. What should I get? Thanks in advance!!

Is the tent in a room that has lots of cool, dry air for the ventilation fans to pull from? Controllers for keeping the environment in check? Keeping temperature and humidity in check is always a battle.

5x5 is a big space that needs a lot of light, so you’re going to be looking for a HID light that’s either 1000w HPS or a dual-bulb 630w CMH. For LED you’ll want something that pulls about 600w or more from the wall. The actual brand matters very little these days; most manufacturers have either figured out how to blend white/red LEDs to get a decent light; the rest of the cost is on build quality. DIY LEDs can be affordable if you’re comfortable doing some wiring (takes about as much work as assembling Ikea furniture once you’ve got the parts that are spec’d to work together.) CMH bulbs were designed from the onset to be for horticulture use; plug and play, no messing around. HPS throws a ton of light and grows great buds, but was never engineered to be used in horticulture. From high to low cost, consider LED, CMH then HPS.

They will all grow good plants, so long as you choose a fixture that will output enough light. Same way any car you choose will get you up to highway speeds, but if you cheap-out and buy a golf cart no matter how hard you try you’ll never get up to speed.

These are light loving plants, and they need a lot of loving to grow to their full potential!

5 Likes

One of the best worded comments I have seen… they are no different than tomato plants…lol… but tomatoes are $1.99/lb so why put a lot of effort into them…lol… cannabis is about $1000/lb at the moment in Canada (all people in our area are willing to pay)… but you get the gist…an average grow will get you $1000/plant (outdoor) but put the effort in and it easily can to $2000/plant or more…lol…

2 Likes

Very well said man.

3 Likes