New DIY grow lights - Strip build or QB build?

Yup, just an issue with inrush current. May be fine, but you’ll want to be ready to address issue if it happens.

3 Likes

I build my own and always with @dbrn32 advice on parts etc… use WEGO’s and it is simple… just take your time and think your way through each step…

4 Likes

Sory just read this one… in a commercial space I won’t disagree… I would still probably do it my self and get an electrical buddy to inspect it…

4 Likes

What about getting several digital timers? Sync the time between them all but then stagger the on cycle between the timers I run 2 hlg-480h-c2100b not much compared to ur planned lol but do run far red boards on a separate timer that turns on and off at different times then the mains, and I’m about to add uvc which will need another timer.
So say 10 drivers 5 digital timers I recommend hydro farm, all have a synced time, then for lights on timer 1 8am timer 2 802am timer 3 804am timer 4 806am timer 5 808am then lights out all at the same time

1 Like

I get it…I have 100amp service to my house but pull 50amps to my Dawg house… I have a fridge 2 TV’s 2 grow lights a microwave a stereo… I have yet to have a problem with turn on surge… But I had many discussions with @dbrn32 and our dearly passed friend Otto and was assured I would be ok… I just do not run the microwave in the 10 minute period around lights on time…lol…

3 Likes

Yeah mate that’s exactly what I was thinking. I run digital timers now. This build is across 2 5x10 tents so there will be what has been spoken about above times 2. I’ll just have the 2nd tents 12/12 run at a different time.

I would have thought they would have made a light controller that didn’t need to be connected to mains power just to solve this issue. It would be better if I could control everything from one device.

2 Likes

@Ladithief
Who should I talk to? I need lights for my new 4x8 flowering room, but have never used led or cmh lights before and don’t know what to do? My budget is around 2k tops, but I’d like to stay lower if I can. I’m thinking I’ll definitely go with one of the diy ones if I go led, but I’m not sure which one. …I’ve also thought if just using 4-600w cmh instead of led’s. I don’t know, it’s so confusing as there are so many options available out there these days and everyone says theirs is the best, lol.
I’m almost ready to just say fuck it and order a couple more 1k x hps with air cooled reflectors and be done with it. At least with them I know what to expect.

1 Like

@dbrn32 is my goto expert… I tagged him so be patient…I use no one but him… if I was to buy a light I would consult him first also…

3 Likes

@dbrn32 is a master lol I know some as I built my own rig and can help some i have a 4x4 running 4 hlg 288 v2 rspec on a hlg-480h-c2100b and then 4 growmau5 pucks running on another hlg-480h-c2100b and then I have 2 of the far red hlg boards running on a APC-16-700 and am adding a 4 foot agromax pure uv for the uvc reaching just over 900 watts at max power I have not done any calculations but have data from my mendel sensor which iwas hitting 30,000 lux/par

4 Likes

Whatever you think. I put the controller out as an option. The reason it gets connected to own breaker is that it powers all of the lights. So instead of using multiple smaller circuits, uses 1 larger circuit.

Staggering with timers can be done. Would probably be worth trying before deciding to go another route.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. :blush:
:v:t3::purple_heart::blush:

3 Likes

Two 630 cmh should be enough to flower 4x8 if you go that route. If you want to DIY with leds, options are pretty much only limited by your budget.

4 Likes

Thanks…yeah, the biggest prob I have with leds is that I don’t know much about them or know what to believe if what I do read. I’ve read n heard a lot of different things and if I’m going to invest in them I want to make sure I get the best I can afford.

3 Likes

Read grow journals of people using them instead of manufacturer advertisements.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea brother, thank you.

3 Likes

Hey brother, I’m really new to let’s as well and trying to figure out what to get for a 4x8 flowering tent and was wondering where you got it at? Thanks.