New Grower On Grow 1.25 (or something close)

I am new to this forum and so far I really like it. My weed growing journey began on March 20th of this year. I smoked a lot in my younger days and after having my first daughter I gave it up as it was illegal and I did not want to be a pot head dad. I live in Michigan and recreational growing became legal. I always wanted to grow my own and said someday. The first of this year I started looking into it and here I am. I am an IT Pro by trade and I tend to do a bunch of research on lots of stuff. So I drove myself crazy trying to figure out which way to go. I really liked the idea of a water only grow. So for my first round I used Kind Soil in the bottom of 5 gallon bags with Fox Farm Coco Loco as the base media. I dropped 4 auto seeds on March 20th. They probably have 1-3 weeks before they all finish. I thought they were going to finish sooner than they will so I dropped a photo Acapulco Gold seed. I will mainly focus this journal on that plant and I plan on starting 2 or 3 more autos soon. I will get pictures and list my gear shortly but I wanted to get this started and introduce myself to this community. More to follow. Stay safe and high!

6 Likes

Here we go with the setup info. I have a Vivosun 4x4 tent. It had a small defect with one of the poles when I bought it and I emailed their customer service and after a couple messages back and forth they sent me a replacement and told me to keep the first one. A long way to say I have a second tent I will set up soon.
AC Infinity S6 fan and carbon filter
2 6" pole fans
Govee Bluetooth temp and humidity sensor
Smart power strip with 4 programmable outlets and 4 always on outlets
And most importantly I have 2 Budget LED 250 watt v3+ Red Spec grow lights 1 standard and 1 xl heatsinks
I use Kind Soil and Fox Farm Coco Loco
Here are some pics:

The last pic was taken this morning. As you can see the first 4 plants are coming along but on the small side. I have learned a bunch and am looking forward to seeing how this new plant comes along.

7 Likes

I dig it. Looking good. With repetition, small improvements will come. And the next round will be better. Keep with it. You are doing great.

3 Likes

The new plant is a Barney’s Farm Acapulco Gold photo that sprouted on 5-21. I had it in a Solo cup with 1/4 cup of Kind Soil and Coco Loco. When the roots hit the Kind Soil the bottom leaves started yellowing pretty bad. I have a 1 gallon pot I moved it to with only Coco Loco in it. I plan on moving to 5 gallon bag soon with Kind Soil and Coco Loco again. Seems like I have some weird stuff that always happens. With this plant the tap root came out the bottom and did a full 180 and pointed to the opposite end of the seed. Not knowing what to do I put it in the cup with the bottom facing down and the tap root pointing up. It sprouted fine but the stem is making a like 45 degree angle so I have propped it up to try to straighten out. And you can correct me on this but I am thinking when i transplant it into 5 gallon bag I can angle it in so the stem will be pointing up instead of at 45 degree angle. Would appreciate any advice there. Here are some pics from sprouting through today. Oh yeah I used Mycos when moving from the cup to the 1 gallon bag.

4 Likes

@scotty17 @Ladithief I started my journal on this site and you three are the only ones I have dealt with a little here so I am tagging you if you are interested. All are welcome and I am just getting started here.

3 Likes

They are very resilient. U might not have to anything and it will probably start growing correctly with time. If u do manipulate it at the re-pot, remember it is sooooo tender. They do suffer from a bit of shock when u do stuff like re-potting and such. This takes valuable time away from the grow. Keep the watering under control so u don’t over-water, but if u can go from the solo cup to a big pot- it will save time for the flowers to have a longer flower time. PS- i’m not an expert. This is all food for thought Do what works for you.

2 Likes

@repins12 I got my journal started on this site and have to tag you in brother.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will see how it goes. I did have watering issues with first grow and I think I have that under control now. I appreciate the input.

1 Like

Remember that root growth occurs when the roots search for water- that means they need to run dry, but not get thirsty- to have good root growth. Does that make any sense?This place has a great university program and worth a look if you are not doing it already.

1 Like

I did look at the videos. And it does make sense. I have been working on the bag weight method for a month now. I would pick them up every day and judge weight. I think I have it down pretty good but will continue to check myself.

2 Likes

There are some “secrets” in the video for nutrients- video #3. I made it 2 years without knowage of silica or cal-mag. Then to learn how close I could have been to nutrient lockout. Had I been using silica-that is. Again- Food for thought. Always.

1 Like

I’m se to watching my brother :+1: :v:

3 Likes

I really like your setup @oltimerockngrow! Nice and clean and neat. I prefer black on my exhaust setups too!! Your plants have some really nice buds going on. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Looking good… mine can get utterly ugly looking on transplant… My Willy Skunk did it but they bounce back…the secret is grow more than you can ever consume and then you don’t give a shit…lol…

4 Likes

And that is the great fight. If you smoke, you have less. So its an never-ending process. Cloning for the continuous grow.

Thanks. My desk is normally messy as hell but the tent has to stay in good order.

1 Like

For sure. I am excited to try cloning out. My daughter got me an 8 site cloning bucket for my birthday. I am a lucky dad.

3 Likes

Best Daughter EVER

2 Likes

The family is very supportive. It was a weed themed birthday. I also got a small de-humidifier, a hand held LUX meter, and assorted alcoholic beverages.

3 Likes

That would be gold, that you have there, sir. Good for you!