New video. Putting in some work lab testing LEDs

Hey GN members. I just filmed a short video from my house on the new LED grow light testing we’re doing. It’s a short 5 minute video that explains what sort of data we’re compiling. Would love your guys input on lights we should test in the next batch we’re going to send to the laboratory. Some one’s that I think we may be testing soon are Growers Choice, Scynce, NextLight, and maybe a few more.

Also, link directly to the post where you view and download the lab test PDFs: https://growershouse.com/blog/led-grow-light-ultimate-comparison-review-using-light-laboratory-data/

4 Likes

As you’re testing the lights, how do you know that you’ve found the “best”? Are there a couple different categories you’re evaluating? Things like most efficient 4x4 tent coverage at the lowest cost, highest light output per dollar (at the expense of overall efficiency), highest efficacy overall (without taking cost into consideration), most efficient light for the cost, etc.

5 Likes

Yes, there are some categories I’ll be able to make. I’m probably going to wait till I can test another round of lights (around 4-6 lights) before I start making categories and ranking the lights. One of my goals was to publish all the information from the tests so that others could use the information to make their own determination of what’s best for them–open sourcing information, in a way.

That said, I know a lot of people see this as information overload and just want the conclusion from someone who’s already gone through the data. I can definitely add that as well.

In terms of quick conclusions from what we’ve tested already:

The winner of most efficient, most output, and most luminous efficacy all go to the Gavita Pro 1700e LED @ 2.70 umol/J [400-700nm] / 2.76 umol/J [380-780] ← includes more IR and UV in it’s rating. This light dominated the first set of testing, with the Fluence SPYDR 2i just a smidge behind.

Good advice on adding things like ‘most efficient 4’ x 4’ tent coverage at lowest cost’ and ‘highest light output per dollar.’ I really like this idea. I’m going to integrate things like that into this test. This sort of feedback helps me make this more useful for forum members and fellow growers.

4 Likes

Definitely interesting stuff! I’m a data junkie too and always love taking a deep dive into all aspects of growing.

A lot of larger scale grows, especially within Europe, are beginning to focus on “active pharmaceutical ingredient yield” as the standard they measure production performance by - how many dollars of input does it cost to produce 1 gram of 99.999% THC, CBD, CBG etc. It’s always powerful to begin doing something by already having the end in mind!

Looking forward to the updates! Also happy to help define what kind of goals you’re hoping to meet.

3 Likes

Good stuff right there @NateCannaCribs… Loving what you are doing… Quality!!! :facepunch:… But looking at those stats seems like less wattage usage results in less efficiency and efficacy… I think hlg has it on point from what I’ve seen and read so far… Keep posting bro! :call_me_hand::seedling::herb::palm_tree: … It’s educational :100:… Thank you for your efforts!!

I’d like to see this one tested but I know it’s limited… I have 2 of these from your shop :facepunch:

1 Like

That’s a great idea! Closet/small tent grow light showdown.

1 Like

Home gowers are becoming a big market now in some states for sure :facepunch:… Not only that but let’s say a master who produces 100 lb a grow could have limited harvest plants specially taken care of for premium quality :wink:… The best of the best so to speak

1 Like