Let's talk about music :-)

I just realized that there is no chorus in “Virginia Plain”. Early 70’s avant-garde music school dropouts are the best. Brian Ferry reminds me in many ways of Mike Patton from Faith No More and Mr. Bungle, because of how comfortable he is with his voice. Come to think of it, he has an interesting range and style that also brings to mind Serj Tankian from System Of A Down. Then you have Brian Eno who makes everything work and is capable of seeing the space of music beyond the 4 piece band setup, exceptional song writer and composer. So anyway, what are you listening to?

2 Likes

May as well have just called this song “sativa”. It begins nice and tingly with some four play, but then out of nowhere it compounds quickly, and becomes frantic and fun. Despite not having any vocals from Mr. Patton, this is still a phenomenal track from Faith No More. Three time signatures if my count is correct, and Billy Gould is giving Les Claypool a ride for his money in that bass.

2 Likes

This caught my ear a few days ago. Not many people on the planet can pull something like this off.

4 Likes

Straight reminds me of Cevin Key or Dwayne Goetle from Skinny Puppy. Through most of the 80’s and 90’s they both toured with a stage set up of at least 4 keyboards, a few dats, drum machines, live drums, and guitar, between the two men.

dz001188

2 Likes

Does this whole forum listen to reggae?

Here is another throwback classic. Arguably it could be nu metal or even a hybrid or rap and rock. Either way, it rules!

4 Likes

Nice topic @Skinnyhb , I am sure there are alot on here that listen to rock. Here a couple of my favourites

4 Likes

AC/DC - nearly 50 years of the same album over and over, and their fanbase continues to grow. It’s a genuine testament to the theory that people crave consistency and repetition.

2 Likes

This song , Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun was released today, in 1983. A father and son were driving down the road singing to the same song, Thinking, how do you know the words.

4 Likes

FNM is always winning!!! Love that song!

2 Likes

If I think back to the wee years of my childhood, I can remember watching this video on MTV. Always dug this song:

I bet he could find some Lamb’s Bread!

5 Likes

I call foul on this post, this is a no reggae thread. Classic song though, one of my best. He has some good songs.

5 Likes

@chrisj Electric Avenue is definitely not reggae. It has a basic disco foundation with an electric guitar application to give it edge for it’s time, and a drum tweak to distinguish it from said disco foundation. I can see how one may want to classify this with reggae, but it’s most certainly not.

1 Like

@chrisj @truthhound

If I ever go to Japan I will find these guys (drummer is a gal) and smoke them out because of how awesome this track alone is.

Martial Arts in the pit!

The song takes a heavy left turn at 2:54

F*** I want to go to Japan

3 Likes

Studies show that the first 10 minutes of your day, the inputs and variables we put into our equations will dictate our day. I used to always wake up and read the news first, which seemed to always start my day off bad. I switched over to wake and Pandora a few weeks back and things have improved vastly.

This was my first toe tapper today:

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

The Strokes… Wow. Takes me back to Junior year high school… Fuck it’s mental time traveling time :wink:

1 Like

I was just pulling your chain. Eddy Grant makes great music, but never really hit the big. I still enjoy several of his sings and different genres of music. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool track, they look a bit wild though.

Leave you with this.

1 Like

You got to love Pandora for bringing things you haven’t heard in decades back into rotation.

3 Likes

Lets mix some dance music into it, sex sells, good songs and videos.

2 Likes