On the topic of Edibles

Hi mpetersen,

Great Post!

Your data for May 2018 edible sales in CA of $37.3 Million is amazing. Now if we play the devil’s advocate and assume that chocolate edibles made up only 15% of those edibles sales, that’s $5.595 Million… but, chocolate edibles are actually accounting for closer to nineteen to twenty-one percent of the edibles sector, so we’ve underestimated that revenue significantly.

Additionally, while some people may dispute the fact that a lot of consumers are producing & consuming their own edibles at home… the fact is, businesses selling machines such as MagicalButter and the Herbal Infuser are selling machines like hotcakes. The numbers are staggering and the value of the products DIY consumers are producing is NOT counted in that $37.3 Million. If people weren’t interested in making their own edibles, they wouldn’t be watching “how-to” videos by the millions on youtube.

For those that would like some assistance in grabbing a piece of that market share, give me a call or send me an email… this is so much fun to be this early in the game, where people can actually make a ton of money, because they have a focused plan and act on that plan.

Best regards,
Steve Leffer, Chief Edibles Officer (CEO)
steve@chocoley.com
Cell: 678-570-2002

2 Likes

Thanks!

Chocolate sales were actually only $5M of that $37.3 - candies made up the lions share of the revenue. With pills, beverages and other infused items not specified made up the remainder. Given that fact I would agree that there is more to conquer in the world of cannabis chocolate. I’m just not sure it’s in people making them at home. This stuff takes some technical prowess right? And some knowledge of candy making, specialized tools, molds and time. I don’t know, most people I talk to are scared of baking and pastry. I have an MBM, it’s ok. People are buying them though, you’re right about that.

I think if designed and packaged correctly you could be on to something but it would take a lot of R&D in the market to determine. There’s one I’ve seen on IG called baker’s bread box which supplies infused butter and all of the goodies, pre scaled, to make something at home. It feels like a novelty to me and not something people would do over and over like say Blue Apron. So much easier to go to the dispensary. I’m not closed to the idea, I just don’t see the value in it yet. I’ll give it some thought and see what my brain comes up with.

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for all this awesome data! Very valuable information, to be sure!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Nick! I’m a big proponent of, “You have to give to get.”

2 Likes

So am I. Karma makes the world go round!

2 Likes

Marc Levine marcl@gocalyx.com 610-496-9224

2 Likes

On the consumer side, I’ve gotta say I’m partial to the lower-dose 1:1 TCH:CBD edibles. I have some of these 5 mg : 5 mg mints that are really great. There’s a point somewhere between 5 mg and 10 mg of THC that just destroys me, so I like the lower dose stuff.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense to me, @CIS-Erik. That is your right as a responsible consumer. My issue centers on choice and overreach. I believe we should be assumed to be responsible consumers. I can go out right now and buy a 5th of Bacardi 151 and get smashed…do I? No. Why? I rarely drink, and when I do, I don’t drink hard alcohol. I as the consumer still have the choice to purchase the hard stuff if I want. Instead I find a healthy medium with the occasional IPA.

I think the consumer should have the choice and certain regulation goes too far.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree! My comment definitely wasn’t a “damn kids getting too high” kind of thing hahaha. If someone enjoys munching down on a 100 mg chocolate bar I’ve got no truck with that. I think I’d go insane, but if that’s what works for you then go for it! I’d hate for us to finally, after all these years, make legal weed a thing just for us to be forced into smoking mids lol.

1 Like

I fear that’s what politicians want so they are writing and passing legislation that makes absolutely ZERO sense!

You’re right: We worked hard to get here and I also don’t want to eat/smoke dirt weed!

1 Like

Or this stuff. Just 95% alcohol. Drinking this may cause blindness.

By comparison, THC is used for glaucoma patients to reduce pressure and pain.

3 Likes

I’m with you. Microdosing is a great approach but does single out people who want high test.

1. it’s a great way for newbies to get into cannabis aside from vaping or smoking
  2. you can have a little or a lot and more easily fine tune your dosing
  3. it takes away the “weed” flavor completely - I don’t mind it but new consumers seem to not want to know there’s cannabis in their food…

I do agree with growernick as well - consumers have the right to ingest as much or as little as they want and politicians just need to stay the hell out of it. That said I would love to make a 1000mg chocolate bar if that’s what someone wants… so screw microdosing in this vein!

4 Likes