Pest control using your extracts

I guess this is now a relevant topic.

Here is a reference article as a starting point.

Cannabis as repellent and pesticide

When I was doing a partial lit search on cannabis production in the war years. I came across mentions of using cannabis extracts as a control agent for mites and aphids in field production. I wanted to follow this line of thought.

Anyone have any thoughts? It’s would not be illegal to add cannabis extracts back to the crop or would it?

@Growernick @Farmer_Dan @FarmerK

3 Likes

Hi Ethan I cannot use any oil based products with the of water soluable enzymatic sulphur that I’m using.

3 Likes

What are you using? Just a curious, old man.

Ethan.

2 Likes

Silver Bullet. It becomes water soluable through ionic process then passes through a dry candy coating of ethanol that sticks to every part if the plant riding N and bringing along Cal and Mag cleaning the plant from the inside and out and greatly enhacing the dominant terpine and touching few others. When I order more samples I can mail some.
I like to see growers reactions when they add it to their regime eithet folair, drench, and topdress or as a food source. All this was discovered unintentional but that is what RnD is for.

K

4 Likes

Good advice! Growers learn from growers.

The CO2 in water has me fascinated. That is the only way I would have wet leaves. :star_struck: That is what I want to play with as a carbon delivery method for advanced photosynthesis. I am chomping at the bit for this. I am trying to pull all the source papers together for my own reading. I will have to go to UM-Duluth Library with my wife staff card and pull all the papers. But, that will be next week. :frowning:

You should try my spinach test. It might be fascinating to see your results.

But, growing cannabis in Minnesota is not legal. So, I stick to read horticulture papers for fun.

2 Likes

Ethan our Micro Bioligist Kyle Broge is my and your go to guy if we need him. I used the S this summer on their advice to an infected Zuchini plant that had Downey and Powder Mildew bad both sides of the leaves and I was able to stop both pest and it regrew fruited through Sept in OH. My 1st time ever growing Zuchini mold was devastating by July.
I still have 1 large zuchini sitting on my counter from the final Sept. harvest. I can’t wait to grow my tomatoes and produce again next year as the native soil is ammended with sulphur and other organics now. Tate told me the following year he ammended his raised beds, he never got mold 1 time in the pumpkinds and squash. No mites either. I did what he did.

We dust our seeds/pellets with N from Amino and S. From start to “finish” the plant.

It’s such a breakthrough that if you grow anything I highly recommend it. I sprayed day, night, noon at 92F in full sun and the zuchini and hibiscus thrived no burn at my convienence.

I have the project on my FB album called Soilless meets Soil but without talking about Silver Bullet or sulphur at all. I was out of options and watched them almost die then come back after Aug and fruit.

I went crazy over the S and called the owner to thank him and asked to work for him in addition to my full time job. S has been right in front of us this whole time.

I personally think S was a big part of prehistoric air and has genetics deep inside the plants kinda like the CO2 thing.

Kyle

3 Likes

There are a few negatives with S. The foliar can leave a white residue on the leaves. If sunburn plants have blisters or dimples the sulphur can build up. The white residue often looks like PM. Very similar and something to be aware. It’s no problem and will absorb with humidity or a rinse of water. We found that by keeping humidity higher than nornal will help absorb after the foliar for a few hours. It’s also sign VPD is off.
For some reason Neem and oil will kill a plant when S is used. So I like to warn people early to stop oil products 3 weeks early if Silver Bullet is coming into the regime.
Bio said yucca wash by hand will speed up wait time and clean the leaves of oil. On my zuchini I wanted residue to help prevent the mold from attacking.
It’s not the prettiest thing to see white spots on my exotic hibiscus leaves. However there are no bugs and it’s feeding.
Top dress and drench ahead of time early on seems to be the preferred method of using the Silver Bullet to prevent headaches and pass the mold checks.
Not recommened to spray after week 3 in Bloom or combustion will put on a firework show.

3 Likes

Mr. @Farmerk, aka Master Grower Kyle,

We regularly use to use suffer in our IPM plan 8 months a year inside av greenhouse. Application method was different. We used highly refindy sun oil, insecticidal soap, and neem if absolutely need in the field, if it was bad in the late summer. pH corrected for the insecticidal soap. I think 6.8 was optimal for soap in our area. Below 7 is required. Everything else was a scheduled biological. This week this next week this. And always ladybugs. Gallons and gallons of lady bugs. Lots of bugs we could not buy at the time we got stock rearing. Orius Manutius and a special day neutral aphadius makensi that grew in our houses. We has to rear aphid just for them. That was always a work, one year the aphids got loose. We spent to weeks cleaning up aphids. We still raised aphids.

Sulfur was never a problem in any crops we grew. We grew differently than you do. If it works don’t change. If you have problems change. All additional sulfur in my production came in the CLF irrigation water. Because of our pH goals surfer was never a risk. Our house blend was used on 90% of our crops. We got big enough to have our blend made for us. 1 palate minimum in those days 2 palette a year plus phosphoric acid to deal with are hardness and dissolve solids. Amount of phosphoric acid did vary by season and a third head was responsible for adjustments to the basic feed for just phosphorus not covered by phosphoric acid. A monthly adjustment based on the water report from the city and our own weekly titrations because we did not like the 30 day wait to make adjustments. That showed quickly in our production goals. Our banker was the biggest help here. He really pushed us to stay on our targets. He made us change are chart of accounts to show more granularity and help us develop a way to use our chart to compare things we did not originally plan on tracking at that level. Even when we paid him back 500K 18 months faster than we promised. We had so much fun. We were ready to expand to 40k square feet of houses with peaked roofs and 12 foot side walls, when we decided enough. Our personal goals had change we had a child to start thinking about. It took about a year to sell. And part three of my life strarted it was a lot of my favorite parts of one plus more money and less time away from family.

We could not have any residues on our flowers. Some where for restaurant salids. Back then you pay me 25 cents for an organic certified flower. I would grow you as many as you wanted on contract, organic certified flowers. The test here added to cost also just like cannabis. But we were early in certifying for human pathogens. I think a good fifteen years before required. We just did it in house. We used an existing set of ELISA’s did every week in house. I would do the tests on Sundays because it was quite. Took all day to do all the lab work for the week. It was fun. I also did any scheduling adjustments and R and D for the week. Sunday was my extra fun day.

All the cut flowers in winter were 50 cents a stem and we sold out every week 8 months a year with a really tough rotation schedule. Sweet Peas were are cash cow and grown hydroponically everything elese was in MetroMix 510 or some 810 if the height of the container was more than 24 inches.

The Sweetpeas became my second love after my wife.

So, I began my life long hunt to grow a perfect vase of Speetpea began.

This as big a reason for moving to Washington State as any I can grow Sweet Peas 12 months a year. If I own a small glasshouse maybe 500 square feet tops. Concrete trough floors and what ever substrate I want. Most likely one of the new expanded glasses. Recycling tank for the hydro solution. And a water treatment system.p, haven’t decided yet on method here. Probably reverse osmosis and recapture the feed on a weekly schedule. Toughest will be sizing the reverse osmosis system. I will uses a standard 6 head injector. Only to make my life easier.
I want to grow winter elegance generation 3 and two European winter F1 lines, fist. I am going back to the old style of sweet pea growing, up wax string. so we will need someone 5 to 10 hours a week to do some work I can’t. I expect 24 feet of growth a season so, I plan on laying down my vines once a season. I think this will give me the most consistent flowers. Trying to decide on a strategy for three foliar fungus common to sweet pea. Lots of new things to try. First, I know dry weight in the vegetative plant dictates flower production and quality and really good leaves. Bud drop is going to be my focus. Winter sweet pea can have bud drop. I think it will turn out to be a VPD issue. CO2 is the biggest growth limitation in glasshouse sweet pea. Aquius CO2 maybe my solution.

Oh yes let me not forget lights. One of the new LED lights that I can control 100% we are going to have a problem with lighting sweet peas that is just different. I am today thinking of @GrowFlux the closet to what I want. Maybe have to ask for a custom reflector. And curtain must have them. I am thinking 14 foot sidewalls this run for fun. I think I will use a nexus house or stuppys has one I like too. I am definitely going for a two pane argon, probably with a coating probably full runs. This one will be my biggest price limitation. May be stuck with full run single pain. Or a newer acrylic, I do like acrylic.

I have everything professionally published on Sweetpeas from 1890 to 1952 except a first edition of Atleas Burpees first publication. But I have a good photo copy, and it’s online now. All of R.C Punnits work. R C Punnit did all his early work in genetic in Sweetpeas. He used the whole UK for his work. He switched to fruit flys by accident. But a brilliant move.

I have a nice annotated edition of Gregor Mendel work, By RCP. The only book I own that lives at the bank, there were only fifty of this silly monopograph publish and bound. I think my copy is number 47. Nothing special other than I like it. I saw applied genetic differently. The LOC will get my copy. I mite just digitize the silly thing. I keep hoping it will show up on Cambridge’s site they all the rest of his papers digitized now. It was such a better time when you had to make the special trip to a library because they had the only copy. There was more anticipation and new foods and a way to right a trip off. ;). I went to Kew Gardens once just to look at there sweet pea in there herbarium. I took me a year to get permissions. It finally took a an overseas call. :open_mouth:

Most everything thing here could apply to cannabis except I would not grow cannabis hydroponically if you paid me in diamonds. Well maybe diamonds, wood shoes and a good chair in the grow area. eamse Lounge and ottoman these are my demands :wink:

From to many of the voices in my head, plus a kidney stone.
Ethan

2 Likes

Let me know if you need help selecting glass or low-e coatings for that greenhouse. Also huge fan of the Eames Lounge here

3 Likes

Absolutely, if my wife lets me build a new greenhouse I will call.

I like the extra long and wide.

I reglassed to many greenhouses, I hate the seams. I like what they do with glass, in the Netherlands and Denmark. I want to see the twenty year reporting on the silicon seals. That is the part that scary. Butal caulk and rope is a pain.

2 Likes

Modern silicones like Dow 995 are allowing commercial glazing manufacturers to offer 25 year warranties. The only exception I am aware of is when the glazing spec has a high level of solar gain, for example with tinted glass, but this would not be the case for greenhouse glazing panels.

On another note, I am much more interested in designing greenhouses with inflated ETFE pillows. ETFE tension membranes and inflated pillows have a 50+ year track record in the architecture industry, are very durable and can be repaired easily when punctured. The huge advantage of using ETFE for a greenhouse is the ability to run pillows across very long and wide spans with minimal structure. In many cases, the greenhouse structure can be self supporting without columns and have a higher level of transparency compared to conventional greenhouse films that cannot last 50 years.

3 Likes

I just want to read what the glazer say about a reglazz. If I build a greenhouse a lot of the design is my preference as a grower. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ethan,
You must be aware of www.Co2Gro.ca
We have Co2 infusion technology that dissolves Co2 into water at up to 2000 ppm. Applied as a foliar application it has tremendous effects on plant growth.
Contact me direct and I’d be happy to discuss further.
David…269-655-5854

1 Like