Planet of the Grapes Grow Journal

@repins12 any ideas why his ph is going crazy?
Rising minutes after adjusting

2 Likes

Is this his journal or is it somewhere else. I don’t see on here anywhere anything about PH issues. I would need more info or a journal before, I could think on it :v:t4:

4 Likes

The whole discussion about my PH going haywire was on the Autoflower Twenty20 contest thread.

Any suggestions would sure be welcome. Thanks!

3 Likes

Is that on this forum? If so, please tag me and I would be glad to take a look. I need a better understanding of what you are doing and grow style, etc :v:t4:

4 Likes

I tagged you over where the conversation started

3 Likes

Here is an informational thread about pH and rainwater that might help you.

1 Like

Let me catch up on your journal and see if I can figure out whats going on @sssportsmfg. You can always tag me if you have any questions. Been there dealt with that in my rdwc system.
Ph perfect technology, really isn’t perfect. It should hold between 5.5-6.5. But not always.
:v:

3 Likes

Wow this Hydro stuff is FAST…as far as growth goes…and a FUCKING royal pain in the ass at least for me lol. Coco coir is plant/ph nutrient water/water/repeat every 4 days. This hydro has turned out to be fiddle fiddle fiddle every hour of every day.

As a lot of you know I started out with rainwater and a line of nutrients called TPS (total plant sciences) I had nothing but major problems with the PH going up over the ideal, and into the terrible zone and was doing it within minutes of PH’ing it down to 5.5 and in 20 minutes it would be back up to 6.9. I had dumped so much citric acid into the water to get the PH down and so often, I had zero idea where my nutrient level was. And the PPM was off the charts in the 3000 ppm range.

I have been dealing with that scenario for three weeks now. And had already completely cleaned and recharged the system once already and had gotten away from some of the PH chemicals that I was using on the advise of @TheMadFlascher bless his soul for all his help!)

So anyway, yesterday spent 6 hours draining, flushing, cleaning, and Ph’ing and then recharging the entire system. I (think) I see some improvement today. Yesterday they were bright yellow, very attractive if you like yellow lol. And this time I went with the Advanced Nutrients line of PH perfect Connoisseur. Their top of the line PH perfect nutrients. However my PH has now gone from being too high to too low initially. (4.3) I have finally figured out that the powers that be don’t want me to get this grow done!

Here is the beginning of yesterday before the clean and flush.

And this morning after 12 hours in the new water and nutes.

@nacho151 @LoCoRocK @Hydro @mudman @ultrapuff @automatik @repins12 @TheMadFlascher @chrisj @Slym3r @Jimhigh66 @Tygrow78

13 Likes

They look good.
I havent checked my ph or ppm since we talked last.

2 Likes

After my nutrients and my final adjustment of the PH in the system my PPM is 2120. Does that sound remotely right? This is the 4ml per liter main nutes A&B and 2ml per liter of Cal/Mag extra. I also put in seaweed extract at 5ml per gal to add some humic and fulvic organics and it is listed for Hydro. And 7ml of House and Garden Gold Roots Excelurator Gold at .5ml per gal.

What is your PPM at?
Thanks!

4 Likes

Mine runs 1200 ppm
When I used AN I was at 900.
I only used the micro grow bloom and some calmag.
I would have ran everything it would have been up there

3 Likes

What is your EC? Remember you have the organics fulvic and humic in there. Seaweed extract is interesting stuff. It contains auxins and a diverse group of complex polysacarides (sugars). So more organics with it. Probably best thing to do is give it some time and observe your RESULTS! Your plants continue to look great and if your getting the typical hydro growth that’s all that matters …right?

3 Likes

Looks good to me. The if you like yellow part was funny…lol I’m sure it’s all downhill from here…lol

4 Likes

PPM is calculated as you know from the EC that your meter reads, so the PPM is just a calculation of the meters EC. Far as I can tell they are the same thing, just a different way to read it. Am I right?

My meter will read two different EC’s PPM, and PPT. one EC is just a automatic scale reduction of the other and both are calculated into PPM when you set the meter to PPM. Let me go check it on the EC function…Just checked EC mS is 2.96. BUT that has nothing to do with actual NUTRIENT density. Because there are other things in the water that raised the EC or if you will the PPM. Right?

This is what I am not getting it seems that anything you put in the water, no matter if it is a nutrient or not raises the EC or the PPM however you care to read it. Even the PH adjusters raise the PPM, so does the seaweed extract, and also the root tonic. However they are not Primary or secondary or even micro nutrients. The plants don’t seem to be burning on the leaves. I am still totally baffled on this whole hydro PPM or EC thing.

So a question for all you hydro guys. Your in late veg… Lets say you have a 10 gal system (just for the ease of using a round number.) Now lets say your PPM is at 1000 on your nutrients. Two days go by and you are down a gallon of water and your PPM has dropped to 940. The way I understand it, the plants have “eaten” 60 ppm of nutrients out of the water correct? Now you have 9 gal of water all at 940. What would you make the PPM of the gallon of replacement water in nutrients to bring it back to the optimal 1000 ppm your nutrients company recommends ? What I am asking is how do you do the math so as not to under or over feed your plants?

3 Likes

I’m going to just say how I do it.
I dont check ppm until I fill the rez.
Reason for this is my plants my not take up nutrients one week. Sometimes they just take water.
I fill my rez then check ppm.
But I dont change my rez either.
Let’s get @repins12 @Tygrow78 @TheMadFlascher opinion on it

2 Likes

The only time I have burned my leaves is when I was using AN and was trying to bring my ppm up only using the micro grow bloom.
I figured out if I wanted my ppm to be say 1200 ppm I needed to buy the whole line. I wasnt willing to spend that kind of money. This is why I’m trying the jacks321

5 Likes

Ok. You are right the ppm reading on your meter is all based on EC. My problem is the maker of your meter has chosen the conversion chip. As far as I know, there are at least 3 conversion factors that the manufacturer can choose from. It is a matter of personal preference. Use what works for you! I tend to be a purist so I prefer the EC reading! You are also correct that everything you add to your water will increase EC/TDS readings. (organic chemicals are beneficial but will exaggerate your EC/TDS readings)
I believe the experience of other hydro growers is the most beneficial to you.
IMHO I would go with what you have and observe the results. You have a high TDS/EC because of the humic and fulvic acids and also the seaweed extract components…that’s all I was trying to sayI
Go grow some beautiful plants sssportsmfg!!!

1 Like

@sssportsmfg , wow wow wee, looking great. You said you cleaned, so I assume you cleaned the bottom leaves. They going to cause trouble if you dont. Looking great otherwise bro.

3 Likes

No Chris, I cleaned the Hydro system itself, everything, the submersible pump, the lines the buckets the air stones and put new black silicone air stone lines in. I didn’t clean anything on the plants themselves, I do intend to clip off the dying leaves in a day or two. I had sludge all over the sides of the buckets, there was sludge in the water intake slits on the submersible pump and all over the air stones except where the air was coming out. It was a light brown in color no idea what it was, it didn’t stink or feel slimy. And the funny part about it is that the PH was perfect at 5.76 and the PPM was about 1300. BUT all the new leaves coming out were bright yellow, and weren’t greening up either. The water temp was 68.2 degrees, the roots were white and massive… everything LOOKED like it was perfect, but pure yellow growth told me it wasn’t.

But just got back from the purified water station bought 20 gallons of distilled water for next weeks purge lol.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes Robert the EC was on the uS scale 2.9. Part PH up, part seaweed addition, part microbe juice.

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like