Problem solving with the GN community

Growing in soil?

Google search “ph up and ph down”

A variety of products out there designed specifically to adjust ph in a certain direction.

6 Likes

You can use dolomite lime to raise the PH in the soil (amend the soil with it) - but you should make sure to understand your calcium and or magnesium needs, as varieties of dolomite lime are typically calcium or magnesium carbonate.

You can raise the PH of your water/feed and feed it at a higher PH (say around 7) and try to raise the PH that way.

You can flush it with PH 7 water (neutral) - let me know if you need flushing instructions for soil.

The simplest solution is to feed it and water it with slightly higher PH and keep checking run-off until it’s in an appropriate range for soil (assuming soil is the medium).

6 Likes

Growing in Mother Earth Coco plus perlite mix

5 Likes

Okay, so with a coco/perlite mix you want your PH closer to 5.8-6.0. In that case, I would just make sure you are feeding at 6.0 on your next feeding, and water until the run-off is matching the PH going in.

Then be sure to feed them at 5.6-6.0 PH thereafter. What size pots?

5 Likes

Thanks it’s in a 5 gallon smart pot

4 Likes

Does this look like nitrogen toxicity? And how can it be fixed?

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s an N tox issue @day. If I were to guess it might be from your ph being around 5.

Let’s see what @macgyver_stoner thinks

3 Likes

Leaves look bloated, that is a clue.

4 Likes

Overwatered? I thought that was really hard to do in coco

2 Likes

Had to add perlite, sounds likely related.

2 Likes

It depends on how it is fed and/or watered.

Coco in a fine peat-like mix can hold a lot of water, soilless or not, too much water without a way to bring up dissolved oxygen levels drowns roots.

3 Likes

I’m gonna do my first grow in coco here pretty quick. Being as familiar with hydro as I am would you suggest me staying away from mixing it with any peat mix being that it will be constantly watered from an autopot?

What should be my coco/perlite ratio roughly?

3 Likes

I’m not talking about mixing it with sphagnum moss peat.

Coco coir can come in a super fine peat like media or rough cut.

Long fiber or short.

2 Likes

I like a 75%:25% coco:perlite mix

3 Likes

My non-scientific self has been filling a 5 gallon bucket halfway with coco and then filling it to near-full the rest of the way with perlite, then mixing them together.

I am only using 1 gallon pots for my moms, though, so I always water to run-off. I have to feed every three days for newly rooted clones. A couple of weeks after they’ve established themselves in the pots I have to water every two days. A month in I have to water daily.

I think most references I see are 70/30 coco/perlite ratios, but I like it more like 60/40 for my personal tastes.

I was considering moving a couple of my moms to three gallon cloth pots… be curious what my watering schedule would look like in that case (honestly that was one of my reasons for doing it - just to learn how to manage the plant in a larger pot of coco/perlite).

5 Likes

what I got is coco loco and I just read the whole bag and it doesn’t say a thing about fiber length

Can I tell by looking at the mix?

2 Likes

Do you think it would be necessary going any heavier with perlite in an autopot system or 25% should still be good

2 Likes

Yes, does it look like fine ground coffee (often called coco peat or coco pith) or more almost like cubes (rough cut) or a bunch of fiber (long fiber coco)?

4 Likes

Honestly to me it looks identical to a normal bag of soil with some perlite mixed in

With a couple of bigger chunks mixed in

3 Likes

Looks like mostly peat/pith.

You can add LECA/Hydroton as well as perlite, some do, I haven’t, lol, but just mentioning you can.

4 Likes