Quantum Board or Led light

Hi guys and gals
I am new to growing just 2 harvests
It’s one of those questions I’m sure no definitive answer but would appreciate any input
From what I read about
Quantum boards seem to have a better footprint
Led penatrate better
Do I got that right?
First if I’m a beginner is Led light easier?
Quantum seem to be cheaper ?
I have a 4x4 tent
Ready to up grade my lights
Also I am not handy
So building my own is out of the question
Got plugging unit down :joy:
I’m hooked and love my new hobby
Wish I started decades ago
I

3 Likes

@PreyBird1 and those who have em on GN swear by HLG quantum boards (I have zero experience with them so I tagged prey to chime in).

Quantum boards are LEDs though, HLG seems to have coined the term. QBs are a bunch of mid power LED emitters (diodes) wired both in series (10-20+ leds in a row) and parallel (multiple rows of series-wired LEDs) through a high current driver (thingy that supplies each LED the electricity it needs). The “cheaper” QBs are usually DIY kits, so you save by doing the soldering and assembly.

Light penetration has so many factors, so that part is hard to address.

4 Likes

Thanks preybird for taking the time for info

3 Likes

I made the mistake of using led lights that had lenses and fans my first few grows. I should have bought Quantum Boards instead. After lots of research I ended up going with the Marshydro lights. Specifically the SP3000, and the SP150. But my most recent upgrade was the FC3000 for my new 4×4 tent. The SP3000 is one amazing light for the price. I have had the best yeilds, and the most rock hard buds with that light. Marshydro has alot of economicly priced lights @mafrank108. I don’t really have the time to build my own, so I didn’t mind paying $399 for the SP3000 and later the FC 3000.
:v:

4 Likes

Thanks TY
Going to check them out
It seems Quantum’s also seems to need a control box to dim lights is that true
Thanks again

Regards
Michael

2 Likes

Yes and all the lights that they sell do have a dimmer switch that goes from 25%-100%. A couple other growers here on GN told me about these lights last year and I still greatly appreciate it!
They sell some other lights that are beasts, but they do start climbing in price.

3 Likes

Type in your search query in the magnifying glass in the top right corner for any questions you might have. There are many topics with many different opinions. You can gauge from there who mimics your growing styles and make more precise relationships with those who will help you achieve your desired results. Many different opinions are similar to "to many cooks in the kitchen ". Have fun and always respect others threads. Slym.

3 Likes

There are very informed patrons on this site. Ty is deff one of them.

2 Likes

Great
Checked them out
Looks like the way to go
It’s Veg 4x4 flower 3x3
Thanks again

Regards
Michael

3 Likes

Goodluck! Lots of choices. I like to customize my lights so D.i.y. is too fun. Once you build one its as addictive as growing weeds is? Wait lol.

1 Like

I hear ya your right I love it
As far as building one
I got no shot not handy
Plugging unit in socket as much as I can handle
I’ll let you know what I go with might save up and go for the next unit up

Regards
Michael

2 Likes

Building it is easy man??. Wego connectors…comes with instructions if you get a kit light.

1 Like

These guys can make things very easy for you…

1 Like

Buy a kit and learn. it’s so fun to do!

@mafrank108

1 Like

All I know is any light better be priced under $1 per watt - otherwise it’s a gimmick and they can go pound sand.

1 Like

Hey guys you have all been so helpful as I am a newB to growing hey at 64 needed a great hobby I love it
I made my decision
Going to go with the Marshydro TS3000
It seem great price $450 for what you get
They say dimmer is used with screwdriver
That seems only drawback
Does it pay to set up a different dimmer so no need for screwdriver?
Once again thanks to all of you guys for the help
You were very generous with info

1 Like

I’m looking at the ts3000 on Amazon and Marshydro.com and the both show they come with the dimmer and daisy chain box. The old models used a tiny flathead screwdriver to dim on the back of the ballast. But all the 2021 models upgraded to the dimmer box @mafrank108.

Look at “Budget LED’s.com” for quality 'Quantrum Boards" - AMERICAN MADE !!! Have two myself a - top quality light Had a LED before and wish I had gotten a QB 1st