Sativa preflowers

I had a few grows in the late 60s and early 70s however, growing in the 21st century seems to be very different. A lot more hands on is required which leads to my new grower question.
Before now I have had 3 auto indoor grows and 4 or 5 outdoors grows three hours south of me in the countryside.
This is my 1st indoor Sativa grow and I have a rookie question.
My plants, (6) have been on 12/12 for 3 weeks. All have lots of small preflowers. Will these preflowers turn into one cola by growing together or should I remove all lower flowers to concentrate energy upward?

4 Likes

Got pictures?

1 Like

Yes but see no logical way to post. I’m sure I will figure it out.

1 Like

There’s an upload button bottom right under the reply text box

1 Like

On my phone no attach files button. Seems strange.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi @doublecure

Great. Your plants are looking healthy and happy. Personally I would trim and prime them to focus on the upper node growth. Take most of the lower branches off for several reasons. Firstly to allow air circulation under the canopy, cut the potential popcorn buds off and lastly focus the attention of nutrients to the top. I think you can leave it for now, your plants are still going to stretch alot. But all looking good. Happy growing.

4 Likes

Thanks very much Chris. I use a samsung phone and do not see how to add photos to a post. I somehow forwarded a photo without knowing.
That photo is older. I did do exactly what you suggested. My plants are now thinned out and almost all flowers are now getting light which is why I asked what I did. I see lots of small preflowers growing up the sides of each plant and was asking do they join to form a cola or should I in a few weeks trim many of them off?
I will try again to upload a current photo.

2 Likes

It really depends on the genetics, as you know true sativa will produce popcorn airy buds that run, but some also produce nice long cola’s, depends largely on the strain. On your phone you should see at the bottom right of the text box a arrow pointing up and a computer screen, click the arrow pointing up and upload an updated picture or two.

Should be right here.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the assist. I think these photos are more recent.

2 Likes

I would probably supercrop and lst them to even up top heights as much as possible. But it’s not an absolute must.

2 Likes

Thanks again Mud. I did supercropping a month ago and like you I would like to do another round but because I’m new I have mixed feelings about doing anything this late in the game.

Only last week I did fairly aggressive pruning which seems to not hurt anything.

Do you think there is enough benefit to supercrop at week 4 of flowering?

3 Likes

Supercropping may not be the best idea, but you can still train during flowering.

1 Like

Good advise. Thx

1 Like

I will super crop anytime. As long as she needs it. Ill walk right into the room and just snap! Lol I’m not kidding.

4 Likes

Personally I would not remove a thing ,lots of air flow around plants, you don’t have too many bud sites to bring yields up I would keep them all, also sativa’s do well to be topped and lst often a dense canopy does best for sativa’s indoors or yeilds will suffer. Look up dominion seeds “skunkband” training suggestions are spot on for most sativa’s I can say from experience it will double your yeilds on sativa’s

4 Likes

i agree. not much leaf action on those ladies

1 Like

If you aren’t comfortable with supercropping at this point, tie the tall branches down and LST them. You can pull them down a little at a time over several days.

1 Like