Sexing seeds - from the abscission zone

48EF4A8F-6C7D-4923-9504-6E11C87FF90D

Question
Can you sex seeds?

After having been given some seeds recently, I grew a male plant. I had seen this attached photo and wondered if anyone had experience with it and it’s accuracy. Viewing a utube video regarding plant genetics on the variability between hemp and marijuana plants the topic of the abscission zone come up in regard to how quickly it detached from the plant and would help/hinder seed migration/loss via animals or retaining seed for harvest.

The premise for the talk being how quickly low THC hemp can quickly develop >0.3% THC content and therefore be problematic for farmers.

I’m not a breeder but accept it may be quite easy to pop a few seeds and with inattention allow pollination and therefore developing unknown/unwanted genetics.

Can anyone add me to a link that discusses seed selection, genetic development etc within this webpage.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Similar to this video of TwizTD

1 Like

So now… who truly believes this…???..lol… and I ask to know…lol…

1 Like

I haven’t tried any of this yet. I’m also interested if it’s true and really works.

I am waiting for someone’s answer I respect… very dangerous game if not true…lol…

2 Likes

So who would be the respected person?
Why do you see it as a dangerous game if not true?
Isn’t suppose to help us?

I have friend who has almost 100% accuracy using this method yet there’s still something that tells me this would have been confirmed scientifically if true.
Gonna try it next time I pop some seeds, either some of DJ’s Velvet Krush, my last pack of original Hortilab Sour Amnesia, or my Orange Valley OG or Orange Glue by Relentless.
I won’t be throwing the other seeds out though. They’ll get run separately and see what happens.

5 Likes

Tag me in when you do…

2 Likes

Srry to say that is not possible a seed has not decided what it wants to be at this point…

3 Likes

That’s what I think but still gonna try… Like I said I have a friend who has a very successful rate doing this. I’ve always attributed it good luck.

2 Likes

I will do that

1 Like

I’ve always been taught that you can actually influence Sex through different environmental factors once sprouted. Don’t know how true that actually is.

2 Likes

…lol… I hear you…lol…

1 Like

100% almost for hermying it is…lol…

1 Like

any of the people that I respect on here… and it’s a dangerous game for a person who grows outdoor and has no time to try this if it isn’t true as it could cost a whole season…

4 Likes

I plant twice as many regs as I want female plants and that gives u a CPL extra gals to cull the ugs

2 Likes

I just normally choose the Biggest and Darkest seeds to plant and have a “fairly good” female ratio. I normally plant 2 seeds of each strain at a time.
Only my White Widow x Cheese was BOTH males :zombie:‍♂
But that’s why it would be great if this method works, or atleast brings your female ratio up.

2 Likes

I am 3-4 to ensure I get 1 female and the same when hoping for a male now… I would love to get my ratios up through a choosing process… be a seed saver… I don’t see this getting anywhere near 95% but even a guaranteed 75% is sweet…

4 Likes