Arizona Grow

I have been growing in Arizona all this year. If I have learned anything, it is simply that growing marijuana can be done almost anywhere.

The worst in my grow house this summer was 123°. Once we passes the 105° point my plants simply grew, but their buds did not grow or fill in had they started before the heat.

I have a basic greenhouse $150, a 4l humidifier $33, and one oscillating fan with an interesting “nature” setting.

Most of the year I try and give the ladies some direct sunlight, but during the peak hot months this required me to water them every 2 hours from 8 am to 6 pm. Now that we have lost some heat, I’m only watering 3 times a day again.

Anyway, just wanted to share, anything is possible. Here’s a photo of my new ladies, will update as grow continues. I only use water, sunlight, and MSU fertilizer, try to stay as close to nature as I can.

17 Likes

I was in Yuma, Arizona a couple times in the service. I loved Arizona!

7 Likes

Sure can grow in the heat, just lots of cool airflow like a swamp cooler and makes sure the roots stay cool and moist

8 Likes

Hello neighbor! Man, you have a serious dedication to these plants! Thats awesome! Plants are looking great!

I grow mostly indoors, but am reaching out and have a few outdoor plants going now. They are THRIVING! Ill tag you in my journal.

By the way, there are quite a few Arizona growers here if you look around! :v::v:

5 Likes

Precisely on point with the roots. That’s why I had to water every two hours all summer. Those are looking great, bit higher than I have been able to achieve, I think I topped at 5 ft 5 in with Afghan that I harvested late April.

I realized by my third crop that if I add more humidity to my grow house my buds tend to be much fuller and thicker.

4 Likes

Well I hope they were small waterings keeping ur roots from drowning lol I’d like to get my hands on an ice machine to top layer during the hot parts of the day for the 120+. honestly though watering every two-three days was plenty running 20 gallon smart pots, may be hot out but the plant usually shades the soil and the soil if a good recipe usually stays cooler anyways. Watering that frequent I’d worry bout root rot. Summer is a challenge for sure but for us in az I think we’re entering out prime grow season since we don’t have frost

3 Likes

Well for moisture a swamp cooler on your greenhouse or some misters seems to be the go to our here both methods work great and def worth checking out azgrows grow journal

2 Likes

1 gal over 12 plants - just keeping it cool. Our sunlight here can dry up soil so fast.

I try to change my soil and bags every grow. My bags are elevated so as to allow for a drip should there be an over water situation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why do u replace your soil? It gets better with every run… Might want to rethink that one lol me and many growers with use it for many years, Cali growers I know still reusing 15 years later. I’ve been reusing my grow bags too but have some good quality ones that hasn’t shown signs of breaking down yet so if it works right? Haha well I’m sure u have a soil mixture with plenty of drainage then :slight_smile:

1 Like

U know since ur using such little water anyways what’s to stop u from doing an automated drip system with a bucket full of ice water?

1 Like

My love and appreciation for the hobby. The extra time I get to spend looking at each one of the plants. The intimacy that it develops.

2 Likes

My idea was that since I am watering so much I am likely not retaining the best of soil. I could perhaps be wrong. I can give it a go around with my next batch. I have piles of soil :laughing:

1 Like

Found a few in my trash from my summer learning experience. I ended up moving these inside to finish there life

4 Likes

All you have to do is just reamend with something like Dr earth and some worm castings and I personally do compost tea feedings so they are getting fed regardless throughout the life cycle but soil gets super expensive to just be wasting, I prob have about 600 gallons I’m rotating

2 Likes

Those kids of yours look pretty dang nice! How long do u usually let em veg before letting em flower?

1 Like

Because of where they had been on my yard, they would begin to flower only a part of the way through veg. Sunlight or any light, makes all the difference for keeping them in veg. Another lesson learned.

2 Likes

This is a crazy thread? Are you two friends? Typically one person starts a thread and it’s their room. Somehow you two just started a thread together! Awesome!

Welcome @azseaindooin420 and @Skinnyhb to the Growers Network.

6 Likes

Well, I have a lot of trial and error, he seems to have already passed my point and moved on to high functioning. I mean I grow flower, and it works, but I think he might be growing something better. I’m always open to others advice when they are themselves practicing it, so this has been a useful thread for me today.

3 Likes

Always great when the cannafam works!

3 Likes

Added a $30 light to help keep them awake a little longer each day.

5 Likes