Arizona Grow

I’ve been wondering the same thing Mr Monkey. I have one plant in a plain jane 3 gal. plastic planter pot, it seems to like it better than the fabric bags for some reason. I jumped on the wagon on the “air prune” roots a LONG time ago lol. I spied those pots with the extrusions with holes in the end of them at least 10 years ago…since I couldn’t afford them at the time I got out my trusty step drill and turned all my 5 gal plastic grow pots into root pruners. Then a couple years later I got 6 of the commercial ones. @automatik still grows in plain jane plastic pots with no holes and does a fantastic job…I’m beginning to think they really don’t care if the pot is holy or not lol. One advantage to real breatable pots is it’s harder to overwater. Those radicle bags make you water at least twice as much with coco. But you can soak them till runoff and they dry up quick. One thing about it is they are cheap, no cleaning at the end of the grow. Just dump em out and throw them away.

Marty

5 Likes

That’s why I like mine. Apart from overwatering I’ve never had any major issues with growing in an ordinary plastic pot tho. My mate in Cz runs a 1000 plant farm in plastic 3 gallons.

7 Likes

OK first of all the cloth bags are called air pruning bags for a reason. The roots don’t circle around the pot when they get to the pot the end of the root burns and then the rest of the root expands and puts out more roots. In the plastic bags and plastic pots you get the root circling around the bottom of the pot. I have no idea what the difference is as to where nutrients are collected by the roots. The water going through the media is carrying nutrients from the top to bottom organic or not. The reason I use the bags. First of all you can get half gallon or 1 gallon bags and and raise your plants in them to a fairly decent size. Then you can transplant them into a 3 gallon bag and let them veg another week or so and go to flower and they have enough soil or media to get everything they’re going to need throughout the flowering cycle without the roots getting overcrowded. Also for transplanting you can just slide a pair of scissors down the side or a razor blade and the bag is gone or if you so choose you can slide the plant out of the bag and then put it in a larger bag. They are extremely cheap you don’t have to wash them you can reuse them or throw them away and best of all stacking plants in a tray or storing bags they take very little space. If you’re gonna throw them away when you’re done with them you can take a permanent marker and write what they are and the date on the outside of the bag then you’ll know no tag to lose and no tape come off.

But the best thing for me is I don’t have to water as often which means I’m not using as much nutrients which means I’m saving money. It’s easy not to overwater. Especially as often as everybody is in their room or tent. There’s absolutely no excuse to overwater or underwater for all that matters. It’s a simple equation water to run off on Monday pick up the plant Tuesday if it’s heavy wait till Wednesday pick up The plant Wednesday if it’s still heavy wait till Thursday and do it again. Once you’ve established what they need how often you’re golden you just need to pick them up every once in a while and see how heavy they are

When I set up my tables on my indoor all my plants get exactly the same volume and strength of nutrients. It’s on the timer I used 15 gallons of nutrients a week on 10 plants. My timer runs Monday Wednesday and Friday, The pump comes on for 90 seconds. That’s it. Then either Saturday or Sunday I remove the pick up from the nutrient tank and put it in A bucket and I run 5 gallons of ph’d water and then I run a second 5 gallons through with microbes and goodies that don’t come from the nutrients.

It doesn’t start out like this as the plants drink more I have to increase the amount of time the pump is on. Sorry I just did some skunk hero and got chatty. :man_shrugging::sunglasses:

10 Likes

Ok, so here is my mindset and approach to growing. Anyone can know more than me, anyone can teach me something I may not know. I look at people who have operations that are thriving and then I see where in my situation I can adapt their behaviors. The Bird grows some beautiful ladies, and he uses the plastic bags so I gave it a whirl. For pennies each, and the holes are already in place, why not?

Being that they are disposable I do not have to worry about corrosion or filth buildup. The Bird has a method he uses to transfer from smaller plastic bags to larger and it is genius, as well as extremely easy. Being able to almost ensure that they can transition from one bag size to the next without worry is a huge plus.

Lastly I can actually feel the soil. I can pick it up and feel the root ball or if the water has settled at the bottom or any other type of interesting phenomenon with the sensation of touch. I can literally lift and hold my soil.

For more information please wait for @PreyBird1 to respond.

6 Likes

Yeah that too…:joy::rofl::rofl::melting_face::melting_face:

5 Likes

Thank you for a genuinely worth while reply and conversation input.

5 Likes

Ok but the question still remains: what’s the advantage of the plastic bags over plastic pots? Throw away would be the answer then? (this is a big disadvantage to me, I like to reuse my pots and bags. No issues. Hate throwing away plastic) and not taking up much space and being able to feel the rootball?

6 Likes

The answer that question is personal preference they work exactly the same. The only physical difference I see is soft sides and air holes approximately 3 inches above the bottom of the pot which you could drill in pots if you so choose.

6 Likes

Thanks Hap. For me was funny to witness a flow amongst growers from plastic pots to fabric/cloth and then to plastic bags. Hence why I wonder what is so good or better about these bags compared to the old school pot…
Your answer wraps it up… 10 growers, 100 methods basically, just like beekeepers. Isn’t it, @beekeeper2.

7 Likes

Well i like how much longer plastic pots keep the media moist longer. I didnt like the poor draining of plastic pots. I tried fabric pots and there wildly inconsistent when watering. I grew straight coco in those pots. And i was always shocked at how i always got dry pockets of coco when i had water a lot. Coco doesnt rewet well when it totally dries out. And then theres issues like deficiencies that are not true deficiency issues just burned roots in the pots simulating the same deficiency symptoms. Bags i can slice open easily for transplanting. And i can view the roots as i do that. Hell i just use packing tape and tape the bag up. You cant do that with a plastic pot. And have you all tried transplanting from a cloth pot? Yeah forget that…i used to grow SOG and run 25 single clones in one gallon fabric pots in a 4x4. Pia to get the root balls out of the fabric pots! So i figured a hybrid option bag/plastic pot. I poke more holes for drainage. Also i watched a canna cribs and this grow op had this belief that nothing is reused at all. Every thing was new and sterile. New grow bags everytime new media every time. New clones or seeds everytime. Mad a lot of sense to me and they also fertigated to run off everytime. I find that doing this also helps me monitor the run off or drainage rate in the bags. When the fertigated nutrients drain slowly i know i have 2 things happening roots are taking up the whole bag and blocking drainingso it dosent work well and that can cause lock out and then if you over water at this point the plant will also drown out. Its strange to see it happen but once the roots use the whole bag theres no media to hold air. Thats why you need to poke more holes initially. Because the drainage is a key factor in how the roots stay healthy and everything flows in and out and the plant uses what it wants and the rest just leaves. That’s why i do a 3 day feed 1 day water flush. Then 3 day feed. Because salt can build up either way. And plain water here and there is important. Hope that made any sense?

7 Likes

Was going to raise the light when I realized I like the light where it is, because it is below my eye line. So I removed one level of bricks instead and lowered my plants.

10 Likes

Art - Two works are from HAL - the other four are from the Crossed comic. Crossed is arguably the greatest horror comic ever.

@nacho151 everyone who has come and smoked in here tells me “you should put a TV on that wall right there” and I look at each one of them with this look of befuddlement. Why would I build a place for growing and smoking weed, and put a TV in it? If I have weed plants around me I have something better to look at, right?

11 Likes

I haven’t really watched TV since 2005. About the only time I watch TV is in a Doctor’s Office waiting room. Lol!

7 Likes

The Lion wanted me to ask ze forum, does anyone know how to make more condensed or fuller buds?

I think his flower is just fine, but he wants really condensed nuggets. Scroll up to post 910 and see his business growing in AutoPots.

4 Likes

BBP seems to be what he needs. 1 of the observations I’ve seen using it is larger, tighter flowers. Especially the Orange Crush Auto I have going now.

6 Likes

So what’s going on here? The foaming white sacks… bugs!

@TheMadFlascher spittlebugs?

Genocide!

7 Likes

I’ve actually never seen one ! But that sure fits the bill!!
Make your best efforts to remove the foam before trying to nuke them with the pesticide…

LOL, BTW you can keep them local, we’ve got plenty of destructive pests already making a home here!!!

5 Likes

Green

Adults survived the first application of the pesticide. Supposed to apply again tomorrow. Inspection this morning showed progress and promise.

6 Likes

Looks like you’re coming into flour so be careful with pesticides that have oil in them. You could try spraying them spots with straight 3% peroxide. Just use a squirt bottle and make it spray a stream and wash it off. And then maybe treat with something like Captain Jack’s dead bug. It will not affect your flowers in any way. :+1:t3::v:t3:
Disclaimer, I did not look up what you’re using. So I don’t know what is in it. :+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

What I am using I almost killed a crop with because I over applied it. I am using the spot technique any further, however yesterday had to be a mist application, as I wanted to provide a one time layer. God willing it will be all right. Today after playing with ppm count I have concluded I either am flushing the bottom soil for the first time or I have a salt buildup down there. My intro ppm is lower than my output, half as much…

2 Likes