Soil question!

I am getting ready to order all of my equipment. I have chose lights, nutes, tent (which I may or may not use), even ordered my seeds (autos); however, I am going back and forth on soil. GN university recommends Fox Farm Ocean Forest, but I have heard bad things regarding bugs. Coco may be beyond my capabilities at this point.

Need strong opinions here to sway me one way or the other!

New to growing and want the best experience possible on my First Ladies.

Thanks, Beth

@deusoboy420
@kapouic
@oldguy
@PreyBird1

4 Likes

I use pro mix sunshine with nothing added.
:wink:
I also run the full GH nute line too.
I’ve never had issues with unwanted bugs in my soil.
And I’ve never used the fox farm products before but seen many nice harvests grown with it. :wink:
Fraid I’m not much help with the decision making. Good luck. :+1::v:

4 Likes

Pro-Mix Sunshine is a very good start. I’ve always used it well until this round where I’m using Pro-Mix Hp. You need a bit more attention with the Hp than the Sunshine, imo, but it’s more forgiving. Pro-Mix Hp is closer to coco, I think, and Pro-Mix Sunshine seems more like a great soil. So for your first run, I would heartedly recommend the Pro-Mix Sunshine. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

What is the exact name. I can’t find it.

3 Likes

If you can’t find it, I’ve also used Pro-Mix potting soil very successfully!

4 Likes

Pro mix is good. I have used FF got gnats. Also slow to grow in soil compared to fluffier lighter media. I have tupur media and i love it but i got bugs in it also. If your super worried add grub grenade to the soil when you plant and you will have zero issues. The whole grow. Otherwise youl be trying to stop a infestation. And thats where im at now. I got a bag bag of media and i got 3 pests at once. Thrips, gnats, and spider mites. I stopped the gnats. And am still having mite issues. Thrips are almost wiped out still working on it. I bought an electric fogger for my yard because of grasshoppers and im gonna fog my tent with it also. I let yall know how it worked out.

6 Likes

Hi Beth, We’re Plan “B” Organics® We’re selling Premium Organic Fertilizers and Soil Amendments are 100% environmentally friendly, are acceptable for Organic Food Production and are G.M.O. Free.

To learn more about Plan “B” Organics Products, please visit:
(http://www.planborganics.com/)

Contact Us:
info@planborganics.store

Good luck and Thank you!

2 Likes

Can I do soil with a light mix of coco?

5 Likes

Why doesn’t everyone add grub grenade as a precautionary measure if that stops the bugs?

6 Likes

Because bugs only get brought it. I made i through 4 grows before it happened to me so i learned real fast. I didnt know about grub grenage. Because any other predatory mites are not cheap! And come by the thousands. You only need a small bottle of it if your a home grower.

3 Likes

Yes you can mix everything. Tupur has wood bits coco and perlite and other ingredients. I have 4 kinds of media. Soil, coco, tupur. And vermiculite and peat.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your help!

5 Likes

Bugs infestations are rare and in Canada NIC (natural insect control) is not cheap… I treat early on evidence…

5 Likes

Yep i learned that too late! And there microscopic hard to see them.

1 Like

i’m looking for a wholesaler to purchase fertilizer that have certain amendments. can this be done with plantorganics

3 Likes

I like royal gold tupur and mix 3:1 with coco for more aireation. Look on the ingredients of the bag

3 Likes

Hi Miasmalla,
Thank you so much for your interest in Plan B Organics. We deal mostly in wholesale however there would be a minimum order for bulk and either you pay your own shipping or be quoted for delivery included.

To learn more about Plan “B” Organics Products, please visit us for details at
http://www.planborganics.com/
And if you have any questions please contact us directly at: info@planborganics.store

Thank you!

3 Likes

do your addmendements include sea bird ,kelp meal, crab meal, fish bone meal,alpha meal, limestone, gypsum, sulfate of potash, feather meal, blood meal.
would i have to purchase separately to make my own fertilizer

2 Likes

Im using that soil to since it’s one $14 for a big bag at the local hydro store, my plants seem to be loving it!

3 Likes

We do carry a wide range of amendments, everything we offer is on the website and can be purchased in bulk if desired.
Sounds like what your looking for is a pre-mixed top dressing? We can design a custom recipe for you, but most things can be found in the right proportions mixed in the soil already.

4 Likes