Solo Cup Contest?

You guys need a little competition and/or excitement around this place.

Any of the indoor hobby growers on here want to solo cup competition? We have to pick a time to start our clones or seeds by and the rule is: you have to grow them a in a disposable pint cup. Should we limit what grow mediums can be used? I prefer coco.

I was thinking the competition could start September 27th, to get enough people involved and to make sure everyone has a plant ready to go. Does this sound like a good date? October is a very busy month for me, so I may have a handicap, but it will be fun to do. Its a great way to add some excitement to growing and the fall season.

We also need some one to judge it, or we could judge based on the likes that each finished plants get. What would sound better to you guys? We also need to put a deadline on the harvests. I figure 3 months will do, thats 12 weeks to put a solo cup plant through bud. Should be plenty of time, even for a Sativa.

If you are interested, just say “I’m in” and we will consider you as a contestant. If you have any other rules/ideas for this competition, feel free to post them. We can take some time to configure it.

When we agree on a date to start, everyone shows a picture of their started plant by that day. You need to tell us what day you put it into the solo cup to grow to start your 3 month timer. Honor and honesty is a must.

“I’m in”, how about you?

4 Likes

Autoflowers are welcome also. Not sure how they will do in a solo cup, though, and make sure they finish within 3 months. Sound good?

3 Likes

I’m in… sounds interesting and fun. Cutting the clone on the 27th or having a rooted clone ready to go into soil/media? I’ve only done soil but interested in coco

3 Likes

Or i have some OG kush auto seeds. Just started germinating 2 on saturday.

3 Likes

You have to have it rooted and in the cup by the 27th, if that is the day we choose. You post a picture of the plant after it gets transplanted, and post the day you transplanted it. That starts your 3 month (12 week) timer. Everyone’s start day may be a little a different, but all started by the 27th with same time limit. If it is a seed, post the day you put the started seed into the cup. Do not count germination time toward your timer.

Its up to you how big you want the plant or how rooted before you put it into the cup, but being in the cup starts the competition. A large plant before transplanting isn’t always good, so try to judge what will work best. In my opinion, coco will give you the best results in a small container. But if you are skilled with something else, that’s fine also.

2 Likes

Contestants so far: Dabberdan420, Devjyarn, Deusoboy420, Packee, Sleeperjunky, Michigeist. I will update this as more people join.

3 Likes

Can I grow in a Solo filled with rockwool croutons?

4 Likes

Sure, the grow medium and feed method is up to you. We can figure out the rules for a few days and see how to get this running smoothly.

Should we allow DWC? Do you think it will create an unfair advantage?

2 Likes

Pic took just now. I’ll pick up some coco on Friday and wait till the time just right for transplant.

5 Likes

Nice. I have to hit the grow supply store in the next couple days to get everything to get going. I will post ASAP. Not sure what strain to go with yet.

2 Likes

Sweet, something to look forward too besides work lol

3 Likes

Ops scratch that. The critical purple is the auto not the OG.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I’m taking some cuts tomorrow to test out my new light.

Not sure about DWC. Should all of the roots have to be within a Solo Cup? I pulled 10oz from one plant in a 4" net cup, so seeing that kind of growth might be awesome?

2 Likes

Yeah that would be great to see. Just remember the time constraint.

The reason I bring up DWC is it expands your root zone from the size of a cup to the size of a reservoir. But I am all for hydro if no one objects. Coco is similar to hydro, so I can’t complain. Roots will be hanging out of it either way.

So, you are in on the competition?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in.

3 Likes

Great, I added you to the contestant list.

2 Likes

Hey where can I order some og kush auto at

1 Like

The single seed centre?

Welcome, you want to get in on the contest?

1 Like

I would like to but I can’t start for like a month I would need to wait till I crop in 3 weeks to buy some new seed.but to do a small plant I’d have to go dwc to make sense (I’m on a health Canada certificate stuck with my numbers)so I’d be late and could only do dwc if that works ,if not totally understandable;)

1 Like

As long as you fit the time constraints and its in a pint cup, feel free to post it. We can make this a perpetual thread/competition.

2 Likes