Sound proofing & or insulation

Now that winter is coming, I need some advice on sound proofing. During the summer months I run a small attic exhaust fan, so now that it’s off I can hear my 6in vortex exhaust fan running.
I’m in week 7 of flower, going to shut down after harvest &redo. Any suggestions, opinions & help appreciated. @PreyBird1,@@Slym3r @oldguy

3 Likes

Hiya @Olcoot . What are you insulating/isolating?

They do make fan mufflers. Also make sure the fan is hung by bungies. If the fan is mounted (hard) like screwed to a stud. Its going to be loud.

3 Likes

@truthhound I 'm trying to keep my secret room secret. It’s about 40in× about 10ft. It gets quiet here in the woods. Trying to avoid any nosey questions. No sound no questions!

3 Likes

Thanks @PreyBird1, actually I have 2 vortex fans,1 is mounted on the ceiling. The filter is on light hangers, I’ll do the same w/ the fan.
The other fan just sits on a carbon filter & vents to attic (drying room)

2 Likes

I use like 10 fans. If i hard mount any fans it sounds like the grow has 10 helicopters sitting on a landing pad just running/idling

2 Likes

@Olcoot.
I had to check but here’s what I used on a Reno a number of years back.
Bathroom was next to the bedroom.
Worked really well.
http://www.homasote.com/
:v:

2 Likes

@PreyBird1, so do you have thoughts on sound proofing, do you think insulation will work, or should I look into actual sound proofing material . BTW not actually in house," secret room " between house & garage.

1 Like

Thanks @oldguy, there’s a retailer just over 50mi from me.

2 Likes

Thats a better track in the woods. Some suggestions you asking for could be as simple as adding rubber/foam rings to where you screw the fan into the wall, helps reducing the vibrations, better like preybird suggested add the bungie chords… Also use distraction e.g place your household water pump close to the fan, or something else noisy. Dont forget smell, maybe plant a hedge outside covering the outlet, or something smelly like lavender. Cheaper soundproofing/insulation could be egg boxes for inside, you could line the walls with them, they work well.

2 Likes

@chrisj, don’t forget the smell! Haha! That’s what this is all about! If I was growing maters I wouldn’t need exhaust fans. Without exhaust fans there is no noise. But I came across something from the west coast, & it smells like
Dammit!! But inhale is like a sweet mint & exhale like over ripened fruit. I call it butt wait!
Also,all egg cartons are reused, (son raises chickens, I give cartons & get them back full!)

2 Likes

Substitute the word insulate for isolate. Sound carrys through insulation. Isolate everything from touching wood directly. Wood works as a sound conduit. Use anything you can to isolate the fan from touching any wood surface. Sitting a fan on a filter that’s sitting on the floor for example will transfer sound through the floor. Isolate the filter by sitting it on dense foam or something that will muffle the sound. A fan mounted to or even hanging from wood will be loud. Isolate between the fan and the wood. Even hanging place foam or rubber or thick felt material between the cord or strap and whatever its hanging on.

3 Likes

Thanks @kdawg, great info. That’s why I was asking questions now, so I can get any supplies now& have everything ready at harvest time.
Again, great info! Thanks to all.

2 Likes