Sterilizing media?

Anyone have any ideas? This last grow is killing me. I got some media from a shop and it had bugs. Im sick of bringing shit into my garden. FF gave me gnats. Took care of that. Now i got thrips and mites. Any way to sterilize the media before use maybe steam it? I Would Need to do a lot of it at once more than likely. Any ideas. I understand pest prevention now lol too bad these micro bastards are so hard to see. Im implementing I.P.M. intergrated pest management now. Sproling is here im gonna jave the outside bugs clammoring to get into my garden.

5 Likes

For smaller amounts I’ve seen folks use an oven but that’s going to kill any beneficials in the soil.
They would have to be added in after.
Not sure what you would use on a larger scale.
Bigger oven ? :thinking::wink::v:

3 Likes

Flush heavily with balanced veg nutes and use enzymes the whole crop from flush to cut

3 Likes

Buy some preditor mites it will get rid of them go for the full cannabis pack (three types) a preditor for the canopy and ground level and base and one for the rhizosphere

3 Likes

Can you please explain your statement abit more in detail please.
Why Veg nutes?
Why flushing with nutes (Veg)?
Isn’t the idea of flushing to get rid of extra nute build ups in the soil?
I can understand the enzymes and beneficial bacteria during the flushing, but the veg nutes?

3 Likes

High temp and pressure, like an autoclave, would work well but will kill all soil biology.

I grow in rockwool because I know I’m not bringing things into the garden along with it. Some people like to have a garden that is alive; plants, bugs and all.

5 Likes

57 Ways - 15. Solarize Soil - University Of Illinois

www.thisland.illinois.edu/57ways/57ways_15.html
It takes some time tho.

4 Likes

So as to not flush out too much nitrogen and end up with a bad balance in nutes to start. I’ve been flushing with 3/4 strength nutes to great benefit. The EC going in should be the same or close as runoff for a great flush. Nitrogen flushes easiest but all nutes flush at different rates. Without lab tests it’s impossible to guess how many of each nutrient is in the soil.

4 Likes

For sure u can add to the process by adding em1 it will shorten the period of time to break down the substrate and help sterilize as well. Many benefits actually

3 Likes

Ok, makes more sense now. Now just to figure out what works for me. I’m currently flushing the Blueberry and Charlotte’s Web. I’m currently flushing with microbes and molasses and clean water.
Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

Ya that’s how I do my final flush :wink: only difference is I use bloom booster too

3 Likes

To clarify a organic bloom booster. Don’t need to be flushed.actully helps w smoothness and flavor

3 Likes

This is a good thread