Tell us about the clones!

So I was busting out a tray of clones this morning and I had this thought: “Well, this is my quadrillionth clone. I’ve have done this task so many times and my methods have changed very little over the years. I wonder how other growers do this? Can I do better?”

While I have cloned using many methods, I still keep going back to the tried and true method of using IBA rooting hormones and rockwool to make clones. I have a 97% survival rate and I think it works for me…but how could I close the gap on that 3% death rate? Do other growers have something to teach me? I learn so much from the other growers on this forum every day so I want to learn a little more…how do you clone?

Are there growers out there practicing tissue culture? If so, why did you make the switch? Why should I switch from cloning to TC?

6 Likes

I have not seen the tissue culture used facility wide yet by anyone. I am curious to see who will and the success rate they have. Curious if anyone has a time lapse of a tissue culture growing?
I do have a way for you to get rooted clones in 4-5 days using root cubes of various types. This picture is 4 days from a customer in SoCAL

I want to get people some samples to do this! Who wants a sample and the recipe?

4 Likes

4 days??? Yes please.

4 Likes

Can you tell more details about the process? its hard to explain how to close the gap without knowing what are you doing.

4 Likes

skunkworx has a good article about it … it works to make a genetic copy of a auto for sure I know as friend has been doing with autos

5 Likes

We are slowly setting up a TC protocol at our facility. The main reason is we are limited on space. Mothers take a lot of space, maintenance and resources. With TC you can keep all your stock plants in petri dishes in a fridge with maintenance reduced to once or twice a year (theoretically). TC keeps your plants sterile, or disease free. I don’t know if you have experienced your genetics getting “worn out” over time, but from my understanding this is caused by the plant’s DNA starting to “unravel.” TC can help renew or revitalize your strains. The start up for TC is expensive, but if you production is big enough, it is totally worth it.

4 Likes

TC is super cool. I recently watched a vid from a TC facility. Cool stuff. Way out of my league. Most of you know my stance on money and cannabis. However im happy that this door has opened. Take the good with the bad i suppose.
As for clones. I think its pretty much like this. Does what you do work for you? if yes keep doing. if no. Figure out where you are going wrong. Look at the end of the day 3% of free is still free. We all understand growing anything is a numbers game. three percent is highly acceptable. Maybe you publish a thread and give us a show? :PROTIP: WE LOVE SHINEYS.

3 Likes

Interesting … 4 days is fast I get between 90 to 100 percent in and aero cloner … can throw 2 to 5 clips in a collar and get great results but its about 15 days for half a foot roots …

3 Likes

It’s not necessarily DNA unwinding. Most often it’s likely from DNA methylation which blocks transcription of RNA which can impact all plant systems, but generally leads to “dudding” through reduced resistance to pathogens.

“Synthetic seeds” may be a better solution to long term storage of explants destined for TC. If you’re ever up for sharing your data, DM me, I’ve got a few years experience with TC optimization in plant pathology labs.

4 Likes

I’ve personally found scraping stems, not sure if you do this, increases chances of failure due to pathogen ingress. Additionally, while you generally get a bigger looking mass of roots in aeroponics, in my experience it’s at the expense of callous formation and subsequent root growth at the base of the clone. Callous formation at the site of cutting is far more important as it is the closest thing colonially propagated individuals can get to a taproot. Without scraping you’ll still get root growth from any part of the stem that is in your cloning media, it’ll just start after the bottom of the clone callouses instead of before our at the expensive of.

A little side note, IBA degrades over time at room temp so store cloning solutions in the fridge. For whatever reason, clonex doesn’t mention that anywhere… I wonder why?

4 Likes

Very interesting! Once I have some data, I would be happy to chat about it. Like I said, we are in the planning stages of TC, super exciting stuff. Not a lot of resources available yet, I will take any opportunity to learn more about it, thank you.

I also agree that scraping the stem is not necessary. I see a lot of people suggest to cut at a 45 degree angle too, and I find no advantage to this. Just cut the stem, dip it and stick it. I also find that sharp pruners work just as well as a razor blade. I had never used a razor blade at any horticulture related job until I entered the Marijuana industry . As long as the pruners are sharp and aren’t crushing the stem then they work just as good, based off the experience I have.

4 Likes

Best of luck! Two quick tips:

1. Every genotype is going to require a unique TC media for successful propagation so you’ll want to experiment with many recipes at the same time, controlling for each growth regulator at each stage of propagation. There is no one size fits all recipe.
  2. You may require months of repeated multiplication to isolate away from microbial pathogens before you ever begin to root. It’s pretty shocking how much accumulation of microbial contaminants occurs on intensively propagated plants.
4 Likes

Probably more accurate descriptions of the mechanisms behind the genetic divergence of clones.

Epigenetic shift

And

Clonal mutations

In the world of hops, similar enough to set seed on cannabis, although no viable crosses have been made, there are some cultivars that are known to be quite old. My favorite hops variety, saaz, was officially registered in 1952, and likely cloned for decades prior.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am writing to introduce D&D Propagation cups for growing clones.

D&D Plant Propagation System has pioneered a plant propagation system for clones through isolation. This works by growing each clone in its own sealed, maintenance-free cup, which offers the plants all the nutrients needed for fast and healthy root development until they are transplanted. While in the process of forming roots, each clone thrives in a self-contained environment, allowing the plant to recycle water and stay moist through condensation. The cups are tamper proof, keep clones sheltered from wide-spreading diseases, and eliminate the possibility of one strain getting mixed up with another.

D&D Propagation just released a new addition to their product with sustainable cups made with biodegradable cups and hemp cubes as a growth medium. You may also customize a cup with the medium of your preference. For more detail, visit https://dndpropagation.com. Check out their latest video on YouTube https://youtu.be/6o43IPCwyB8.

3 Likes