Those of you that run autos, do you do 24/0 in flower?

Hey there!

I’ve just written a review of the current literature on whether or not autoflowers benefit from 24 hours of light in flower.

I’m not fishing for clicks, so I’ll just briefly sum it up for those that don’t want to read the whole thing:

• There is a positive correlation between light and yield.

• There is a point of diminishing returns for light relative to total yield.

• It is unclear whether or not autos benefit from receiving 24 hours of light in bloom, in an indoor home-growing setup, without supplementing with CO2, using high-intensity lights, relative to the cost of 24 hours of light per day.

• On the other hand, there does not appear to be enough evidence to conclusively say that running them under 24 hours of light hurts them, and the extra light might increase your yield, dependent on the chemovar/strain and your equipment.

• There is a lot of individual variation between different chemovars/strains affecting the relationship between the environment and total yield.

Personally, I’ve always been doing 20/4 tops for autos in flower. But what about you all? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@cannadogg. I’ve done 3 ways.
Did 20/4 first time. Had a so so yield of 11 oz from 4 plants.
On the 18/6 run I had 20 oz on 4 plants.
Got 2 autos currently on final flush and did them on 12/12 with my photos.
Don’t have a final yield on them yet but they’re very fat. Just took longer to finish on the 12/12.
By about 3 weeks. We’re at 18 1/2 weeks currently since germ. Should be harvesting them by the first of the week.

So my best Yield came from the ones on 18/6.So far.
:+1::v:

3 Likes

Hey an interesting discussion and I am sure there must be alot of research done into this because if you think just on a one legal states scale how much energy they are consuming to make 1 pound of indoor , any cost/energy savings would make the biggest difference on their bottom line.

Just for debate purposes, here is the Gas lantern routine or 12-1 which reduces flowering times to 6 hours on and 18 hours off. Yields are on par with 12/12. There is also some “facts” somewhere that cannabis does not efficiently absorb light after certain amount of hours.

https://forum.growersnetwork.org/t/anybody-use-the-12-1-growing-technique/

12_1_lighting_cycle1

4 Likes

I run mine 18/6 unless it is when I flip my photos in the tent. I tried 24/0 and 20/4 but, seem to have the best results at 18/6 :+1:

2 Likes

No waste of hydro… 18/6 or 12/12 or 14/10 etc…

I only run photos in my hydro. The autos are run in soil to create a sorta perpetual grow, since I prefer to veg my photos much longer than most. I did however have a plant, from seeds, that was ordered as a photo form the forum that I was on turn out to be an auto. Had I of known, it would have never went into my Hydro system, for sure

2 Likes

Interesting - thanks so much for sharing @chrisj :green_heart:

I had a look through the site where the idea seems to come from, and the dude seems like a really chill guy, but I’m seeing a lot of “science” and not a lot of science on there. In my article, I quote the one study that’s been conducted on the specific topic of light cycles, where the results are (simplified, check the full link in my first post for the full results) that 12 hours of light produces significantly more yield than 11 hours, but 13 hours does not increase total yield. Mind you, it’s done on photoperiods, but the data still holds, we just need more studies!

The reason why we need more real studies is in part also because there’s actually often a misunderstanding of how to report yield. Some do it in dry botanical weight, but in order to fully quantize it, we need to be looking at total cannabinoid yield - as that’ll be of most interest to the average home-grower! But, that’s also really hard to measure for the average home-grower, unfortunately.

It’s truly the best time to be alive weed-growing wise, though, as we’ve never had more science or more people sharing their experiences before :green_heart:

2 Likes

Hey there @oldguy!

Thanks for sharing man, sounds in line with a lot of the anecdotes I’ve heard online over the course of the years :green_heart: I never run my autos under anything more than 20/4 these days hehe

1 Like

really chill guy, but I’m seeing a lot of “science” and not a lot of science on there

You probably the only person that has ever said Joe is a chilled guy!! He does state that it does come from science, i think I want to dig in a little.

It’s truly the best time to be alive weed-growing wise, though, as we’ve never had more science or more people sharing their experiences before

Lovely way to say it. It really is. Got of a call this morning with a local dude who is testing strains and levels of compounds. Really interesting things to say about our local landraces.

What he said next, I butted in and called black magic. i believe GW grows specific cultivars and do not only perfect the yield, but can also change the cannabinoid profiles with the environment. Sounds bit like common sense , however , if you want a profle of THC/CBD 1:2, they can grow it using the same variety. MAdness.

2 Likes

:wink: Initially I was going to write “seems like a really nice guy”, but then I thought, meh, it’s weed, let’s go with chill instead haha! I’m all for the positive vibes hehe!

Really interesting stuff. We are seeing a lot of studies on the whole cannabinoid content in relation to the environment, so it makes sense. It’s also just so darn interesting that we have all these different variables to play around with to get the exact outcome we want! Aw man, I really do love growing cannabis hehe :green_heart:

2 Likes

You think smoking weed is addictive, try growing it.

4 Likes

100% @chrisj… its worse then Heroin…lol…

Growing dope has become like breathing air
@Ladithief worse than heroin but, better

yes absolutely healthier…lol…to me it is a physical addiction… I am not happy if I don’t have plants outside…

2 Likes

I can respect that, for sure .

2 Likes

The grow is actually exciting. I dropped 6 seeds yesterday afternoon
and had a hard time falling asleep last night just thinking about the germination.
By the weekend I should be able to post a few pics.

I wouldn’t go above 20 hrs. of lights on personally. (and 18-19 might be preferred depending on genetics)
ALL living things need sleep and there are important biological processes the plants needs to complete while in this sleep cycle. Might do more harm then good to stress them with more DLI then they need.