Tissue culture ideas

Whats up guys. I had some questions regarding tissue culture. Im tired of tossing out gems just to add another strain. So im looking into the kits they arnt exactly cheap but they arnt too expensive. If there is a way i could build my own kit for cheaper than 250$ that would be super dope. Pretty much know only a little bit on the topic but really wanna do it. Im going to buy a mini fridge to store em in any help would be much appreciated. I can google online how to do it step by step but just thought i would ask around for info. Thanks guys :100::fire:

7 Likes

@PreyBird1 is almost ready to set up a lab. Have you ever grown mushrooms? Or are you familiar with surgical sterility? Attn to details and a clean room are essential.you will need a great heppa filter to clean your air .a glove box or flow hood tyvec suits,uv sterilizer or autoclave (pressure cooker works ok) of course petri dishes and tools to work with. And much more lol not a super cheap start up but we’ll worth the effort and funds :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I use tissue cultured propagations. They cost less and perform better.

4 Likes

Hi @dank_c. Another way of saving gems is to keep mothers and cloning. Just giving you an option rather than going to the expense and effort of building a sterile lab. Might be a good idea anyway with this damn Corona virus going around. You always welcome to post updates and get help from some pro’s on here.

6 Likes

I have a laminar flow hood and all the equipment but i need a clean room. I have many mothers. And many many clones. To me it is going to be a better way to clone because the upkeep of mothers and the posibilities for them to get some insect. Or mold or who knows. I wont say mildew in it’s full term because i believe its a jinx. Lol. It very high in spring here. And i want to preserve many strains. I am waiting on some ingredients for my STS solution to arrive. I need to harvest and cycle then i can get my tissue culture going. Im toying with the idea of a lab tent for my tissue cultures and mother jar strains storage.

6 Likes

Im working on it. Im only 1 guy. No help. (Well you guys/gals help) I work to much 55+ hrs a week. And then i get home and work on my favorite gardening. I wish there was more time after work to get all i want to achieve done. You folks here are always are inspiring. I want to do some multi strain grafting flowered plant and take some photos.

8 Likes

You need a heppa intake filter :wink:

4 Likes

Oh i know and the big ones aint cheap. Im going to incorporate a hepa intake and constant flow out of the tent like a laminar flow booth. And ill probably utilize the ozone generator to sanitize the room before i go into it. Still deciding.

5 Likes

I don’t suggest using ozone on flowering plants.ruins terps big time did that once had no flavor to speak of

5 Likes

170$ USD for a 8" ,375$ plus shipping for the 14"

4 Likes

I have never grown mushrooms but i am one to pay very close attention to detail and cleanliness is something im good at. I am limited on room so setting up a separate tent would be hard. But if i can maybe do a small tent in a vorner and keep it super clean maybe would work.

2 Likes

How do you do it?

2 Likes

Lol corona virus shit is getting people to go crazy. But i just wanna learn so i can keep around stuff longer without having to keep re mothinging clones and tossing stuff out.

2 Likes

Shit i wish i had room for that. Would be cool to get something like that

2 Likes

Im so close i can taste it…

I have much more equipment. Its all not cheap. But i guarantee my lab will be legit. I got room. And no kids.
My list.

1. Laminar flow hood. Cleanliness: Class 100(Fed 209E)
  2. Beeker set.
  3. Stainless lab spatula set.
  4. Graduated glass dropers.
  5. Magnetic heated stirring plate.
  6. Electric high heat steralizer.
  7. Full tissue culture lab kit.
  8. Glass autoclavable culture jars.
  9. Extra agar mix
  10. Alcohol burner for instant on the fly tool sanitization between cultures.
  11. Lab bodysuit. Beard, head, and booties covers.
  12. Lab tool stand for hold tools up of surface.
  13. Disposable scalpels
  14. Full gauntlet surgical gloves.
  15. Lighting equipment. Shelf racks for mother clones
  16. Culture jar holding trays.
  17. Working on the tent for sterile working enviroment.
    Lots of reading and practice. But like i said im really close. I want my mini lab to be sweet. I may just make a tiny room for just tissue cloning.
6 Likes

Regarding the clean room, I had planned on using a grow tent that was big enough for me to get a work bench and flow hood into, with enough room to store materials that need to stay sterile. I was going to use a HEPA room sized air purifier constantly cycling the air in the tent to capture any dust or contaminants. A 5x5 tent might be big enough, 4x8 definitely would. And it can always be used as a grow tent!

You might want to get a food grade prep table for working on - something that’s made of stainless steel and is really easy to sanitize.

Are you going to be autoclaving your own medium?

5 Likes

I want a mini autoclave looking still. I will be doing my own sterile agar mix. I want to get to the point i can make my jars full of sterile agar mix then wrapped in foil and auto clave them after for pre prepped sterile jars. Pull foil off and ready to go.
Edit: actually it’s funny you say that as im looking for a food prep table thats stainless. Ha like what your thinking @devjyarn. I got offered a hazmat inflatable tent but they wanted 2k for it ouch! But it was straight out of ET the movie. Man i wish i had a sealed lab with glass doors that went woosh as they closed and an air lock like in the movies ha ha.

5 Likes