To Flush or Not to Flush

Thanks for the advice @FarmerK! There’s some real good stuff in there. I like how you summarized it at the end just by saying, Don’t use nutes every time. Lol.

The way I was taught was to always have a water day. Then when I went to DE HPS, like I said, I was told by the light manufacturer that the plants needed to be fed nutrients every time because for one I’m growing in CoCo and the nutrients run off quicker than soil and two the lights are so hot. He actually told me I should be feeding them everyday but that definitely wasn’t going to work. Anyways, ever since I abandoned my water days I’ve felt a little funny about it. Thanks again for the advice.

I’ve never used a tea before. I definitely want to try it though. I’ve seen some cats on here that use it and their harvests came out AWESOME. Is Recharge like a tea or no? I used that a few times and I felt like every time I used it my plants looked wilted the next day. Sometimes in hours. However, in that products defense I was growing at a time when I had a multitude of issues going on in my room so it could’ve been many factors. Anyways, I abandoned using it because I thought it was killing my plants. lol
I Will absolutely look into the tea though. Thanks again, bro!

3 Likes

@Ladithief has some great tea recepies, u can just throw a double handful of earth worm castings into a sterile 5 gal pail and add 3-5 tbs of organic black strap molasses and fill w dechlorinated h2o and throw a cpl airstones and airate for 24-36 hrs if at rm temp. Longer if cold

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll definitely give it a try. Just out of curiosity, can I find worm castings at my local grow store?

2 Likes

You can do both ways , it will not affect the plant . But in ideal scenario you should flush them with food not with water , so you can keep the EC of the root zone stable . The plant loves constant EC of the root zone , there are many processes connected with the EC of the root zone like water intake through osmosis , producing sugars in the root zone , so every change of the EC in the root zone the plant needs to change the habit , to reduce or increase the sugars in the root zone , on that way the plant control the intake of water by osmosi and nutes by diffusion . If you feel that you put too much nutes just reduce the amount but always go with feeding every watering , if you want to flush them flush them with the same solution you feed them just with bigger runoff , the water should be the last thing if the nutes are really high in the medium .

3 Likes

Thats how you stress the plant , why will you go with nutes - water schedule ?
The roots always need to have bigger EC from the medium , on that way the water is moving from lower to bigger concentration with that also some of the nutes by the diffusion . How the plant is adjusting the EC in the roots , by producing sugars . So what basically you do you torture the plant every other day to adjust the sugars in the roots , why you just dont give them 1/2 strength every day so the plant will know what gets every day and keep stable EC in the root zone and roots .

2 Likes

Those are great points @eldindupljak . Growers are very aware of their aerial environment; temperature, humidity, CO2, light, but not everyone is thinking about roots with the same consideration. Living soil is its own thing and has different needs, but hydro plants need consistent temperature, water content, pH and EC.

3 Likes

Definitely makes sense! I can see how flushing with water could throw off the consistency. Especially if there’s nothing wrong in the first place. So at least I’m allowing runoff every time I feed. Good to know! As always, thanks again for the wonderful advice @eldindupljak

@devjyarn I’m currently growing in CoCo. Is that considered the same as hydro?

2 Likes

@tax Yes, in coco the plants are relying entirely on you to keep the root zone happy and healthy - there is not nearly as much biology buffering the roots as there would be in a living soil.

3 Likes

Bump

Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

If you were old, dying, and in prime time flower, would you starve yourself with R.O Water?
Maybe if you fed floor cleaner or Calcium Nitrate for 4 months yes flush lol.
Hey guys, I feed what the plant needs and rinse the soil at the same time the last 2-3 weeks through chop.
Fresh Water Bogs of Fulvic Acid and Humalite Humic Acid are awesome for feeding and flushing agents we use all the way until chop with Amino Acid Nitrite tapering after week 5-6 but increasing bacteria and super clean Molasses last 2 weeks.
Cannabis is protein and so are the meds and that is what we provide for all cannabis.
I might do a 1 day flush with clean carbon filtered tap, but I’m usually in the dark for 48hrs by then and done watering.
Plan ahead but we do not stop feeding the last couple weeks is prime time flower baby.
Do what you please and it’s based off the nutes used and build up in medium and other factors to consider.
My point is, don’t use floor cleaner for nutes and you won’t need to flush for 2 weeks when the plant is stacking flowers hardcore. Outdoor, does cannabis stop feeding last 2 weeks?
With hemp since we can’t grow full term staying at or below .299999% Total THC, there isn’t time for a flush if the lab work THC shows cut this down now.
Be careful what you feed at the end and white ash could mean you did or used something right.
Kyle M

4 Likes

This is a problem that occurs when you do not use water extracted humic acid. I want to recommend using high-quality humic acid for better plant growth.

1 Like