Trying to learn how to create my own strain

I am looking to create my own strain. I am not too familiar with breeding . I’ve watched YouTube videos and think I have a good idea, but am no sure. Is breeding basically me getting a male plant and pollinating me female and using those seeds as strain. Or what all goes into breeding?

4 Likes

Welcome @nativeground happy to have you here I swear it’s usually much more zen around here. There’s lots of ppl that have great know-how to share on many different areas of growing. If you have any questions make a thread and someone will help tag the right ppl in for a great speedy answer;)

4 Likes

That’s the short story…

5 Likes

You need to find a solid male to breed with, factors like mold/pest resistance are key , then does the plant have good structure like did it look like a female (tighter nodes) when u rub the leaf/stalk does it smell good or like a lawn? Is the stalk thick& hollow? Did the male grow fast? Since we don’t smoke males it’s a bit trickier to find good ones but these points are key to finding one. Then u want a solid non feminized female that has traits you admire or are seeking for ie, potency ,smells flavors ,madicinal quality’s you want to contribute to the cross. The you are ready to make a f1 hybrid, breed that out and keep the mom alive and find a solid male from the f1cross and breed that back w the original mom u kept alive and u have a f2 hybrid do the same thing till u get to f4 then u have a cubed strain. It is now stable enough to call a proper cross and is ready to share or be sold at this point :wink:

9 Likes

And in your selection to breed don’t be concerned about saving a buck invest in the best genetics u can find.

6 Likes

In order to diversify and create unique quality’s it helps to find opposite and complimenting quality’s to breed in ie one has great insect resistance and is potent but doesn’t yeild big and the other strain has great mold resistance and is a large yeilder of decently potent buds.

7 Likes

Thanks that’s a lot to help keep in mind. I have this sluricane female I really want to breed with. Just need to find a male to cross with

3 Likes

Nice ur half way to the start line (just getting in the race is half the battle :wink:

2 Likes

Man now I have to try to find a solid pest resistant male

1 Like

Are you looking to make Regular, Auto of Fem strains?

2 Likes

Regular strains

2 Likes

@diamondboyfarmz there are a lot of issues currently from people chucking pollen around and calling themselves breeders. Inferior genetics, hermaphroditism, and an overall blandness has infiltrated the “drug” cannabis gene pool.

If you are serious about making your own strain and wish to do so responsibly with quality results it will take years.

I suggest you start by reading this book:

10 Likes

Well said brotha RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT so many ppl just crossing strains because of names or other bs instead of picking strains that compliment eachother!!

3 Likes

Dude breeding isn’t something one just decides to do with no knowledge of. You need to spend time learning. Breeding is not for beginners. You have far this much to learn to start this path.
Buy “the cannabis breeders bible” by Greg green. If you can fully understand what’s in the book, you are ready. If you you have any difficulty understanding your not ready.

Please dont be a pollen chunker and call yourself a breeder. Pollen chunking isn’t breeding

5 Likes

This is some hard truth delivered straight up by MK3… no olive. In the pursuit of excellence in anything, mentorship is hard to find and untarnished solid advise a rarity. In this case, an experienced breeder took the time suggest a book that will teach you a baseline of knowledge that he feels will give you a shot at excellence. That’s some Mr. Miyagi-type stuff there laid at your feet! So wax on and get a copy… lots out there for under $30.

Sounds so easy but knowing the name of the book and the term “pollen-chucker” are the fruit of years of sincere effort. You my friend, get to stand on the shoulders of giants today… take notes!
It’s important here to point out props go to you for being smart enough and humble enough to ask the question. Good on you for that… My best wishes on the journey.

2 Likes

Give it a shot! There is a lot to learn about breeding and doing it successfully, but getting your hands dirty and trying it for yourself is a good place to start. There are lots of great breeder talks on YouTube that can give you an idea of what other cannabis breeders look for when selecting plants. There are lots of great resources on genetic inheritance and plant breeding online and in your local library.

5 Likes

“Dude breeding isn’t something one just decides to do with no knowledge of. You need to spend time learning. Breeding is not for beginners. You have far this much to learn to start this path.” I must say @MK3_Pharms we have just met this person u can see this is their first thread at all. How do u know they have so much to learn. W/o ever chatting w them… If u got nothing good to say why try bring ppl Down All the time… It’s getting a bit old… Try and be more positive it will attract better attn. And I’m a firm believer in trial and error u b surprised what someone can come up w on their own. Also nothing is absolute in this universe NOTHING…

9 Likes

Again I dont sugar coat things or beat around the bush. The truth is the truth. People can’t handle honesty I dont know what to tell you. You have a issue with honesty. Then maybe grow thicker skin. The truth is the truth. Can’t help it if you can’t accept it

2 Likes

The honesty you propose is only perspective.

2 Likes

I love you he truth but it needs to be proven before I accept it as non bull $#!+

8 Likes