Trying to learn how to create my own strain

I have chucked pollen with good results, but I would never package and sell those seeds as a “strain”.

I would suggest that while researching the topic you also experiment. In the end, it just depends on how serious you are and what your breeding goals are.

My best advice is to find 3 traits you want to breed for n order of importance. Once the first is found, move to the second. That is why I think it takes years to develop a strain.

6 Likes

The best advice I got from @MK3_Pharms… Grow thicker skin now I’m blocked for my simple opinion. Take your own advice my friend;) your blocking ppl at a rate that will make ur online world verry small in no time at all hahaha kinda adolescent

7 Likes

@hoppiefrog Blocked from what? I didn’t know users could block others.

5 Likes

Me either haha lol. I think he meant tht I’m blocked from pm him idk what he’s talking about if not…

4 Likes

read and experiment… honest advice… and it’s not easy more honest advice… takes years… definitely if you want stability… and achieve some recessive traits absolutely… at least f3 or f4… knowledge is key and if you don’t have it get it… I have gained immense knowledge from the people here…don’t feel I am ready yet… but I am saving my Willy’s Wonder female for it… looking for a gold leaf male to cross it with… or figure out how I am going to find a male Willys to stabilize this phenome…

7 Likes

Thanks for all the help you guys. I’ve been growing for about 2 years. Wouldn’t say I’m the best grower. Obviously have a lot to learn. But it’s a continuous growing curve. I just see a lot of breeders selling genetics for $120 for a 10 pack of seeds which I feel is overpriced. I’d rather learn how to breed and fill my garden with my own genetics

8 Likes

“Breeding” is different than seeding up a plant.

I think that’s what @MK3_Pharms was trying to say. Some of us have been at breeding for a long time and understand it takes A LONG time to actually create a stable strain. I have been working on an ASC x sour banana OG and have only just now gotten to the f4 line. It’s been 2 years and I have 15 yrs breeding experience. I trashed 13 of 20 of the females for my attempts at moms Bc they weren’t up to par. Then you have the same process with males.

Then u need to harvest at the right time let the seeds ripen and sort them Bc they all shouldnt b kept and used.

You also need to make sure you keep all tents and pollen completely separate and contained Bc cross contamination will have u scrapping your whole breeding program and starting over.

Breeding is fun. Just has to b done properly to b done to create something shareable.

10 Likes

How do you know when the seeds are ripened enough?

3 Likes

After harvest a seed should dry for a good 30 days before any attempt at germination.

Seeds should b harvested when the plant calyxes show ready like a female plant would. The seeds will start to pop the calyx tips and will b darker in color and look fully mature.

6 Likes

Since we a gabbing about breeding… with legalization in Canada a few of us have been wondering why we are seeing seeds in almost all our plants… not many just more on a regular basis…we almost feel that it is because of all the lazy people that are either lazy or lack the knowledge to grow females… thus there is more pollen in the air… just food for thought… and if this is true it could skew many a breeding program in our area…

5 Likes

The seeds could also be from a plant that has hermaphroditic tendencies. If a plant hermies part way through flower they’ll produce some female seeds.

4 Likes

Yes and I have seen that… but there are so many now that are seeing seeds… not enough to piss us off… but from somewhere strain unknown/unconfirmed…

3 Likes

My guess is BC Of all the males out there…

Pollen’s in the air… I’d think that you’re better off breading indoors for that very reason and to control Env etc

Packee

4 Likes

Ya and put a heppa filter on ur air in then u know ur solid for sure

6 Likes

Pollen can enter the upper atmosphere and do continental drift for real. While studying micology I came across that stat

6 Likes

Spores can circle the planet

2 Likes

So I just figured out how to mute ppl u can in the box at end of thread. And on someone’s profile as well.

4 Likes

Plumbers will tell you that a straight flush is better than a full house.

I’ve noticed doers who are also sincerely compassionate mentors care enough to tell it straight when the information is important. They live to standards vs impressions. Passion for a subject is often seen to be arrogance by the person who’s passionate about something else. Here, you and MK3 seem to collide. He is passionate about growing and breeding. You seem to be passionate about how people are made to feel and how they are, their well being. Both of these are noble and great aspirations with very different goals and outcomes. (Obviously, I’ve only read a little back and forth so I might be way off).

You make a great point that it would be helpful to know more about this aspiring breeder. Judging skills is much more difficult than learning a persons goals and motivations. Especially online! Who are any of us to judge the growing skills of any of us? Rather, any of us could quickly and clearly understand the goals of any of us written in a thread.
Hey, Nothing wrong with doing some pollen-chucking…hell, it’s America, do whatever you want eh’! but, that’s a big difference than the pursuit of excellence.

For instance, if someone is in the pursuit of excellence they don’t worry about the tone in which great advise is given. Effective information in any tone is music to the ears of a person in pursuit of excellence because their dream is more important to them than if their steak came with a knife…if not, they pick up the meat with their hands and devour it. If you’re hungry enough you don’t care if the waiter didn’t ask for your food allergies, go over all the specials, or point out the bathrooms…you just want that damn steak!
or…
You spend 15-20 minutes in the car discussing what you feel like eating only to settle for a foot-long at subway so you can save half for later.
These are clearly 2 different people and would appreciate different approaches to delivery of advise.

Full disclosure here… I’m took the time to write this commentary because I don’t think this is the place for commentary on how people post. Silly really for me to chime in except for the amount of time I’ve wasted reading this “zero-value-to-others” back and forth vs information we could use, just inspired the irony right out of me… I mean really, did what i wrote above have any chance to elicit change? …and the irony continues.

Cheers eh’,
Happy New Year

Whoa be to the bystander when he runs into a guy in the race!

4 Likes

Eloquent and a good attempt at soothing the strife.

Forum relationships can be as tough as breeding!

I’ve got no problem chucking pollen and have to admit that some of the legendary strains known today were most likely the result of mistakes, Chemdog and Cinderella being 2 off the top of my head.

In this current market I think not only does the established breeder need to do rounds of selective breeding, but also needs to do intense testing once the strain is “finalized”. Duke Diamond gives stretch, pheno, and feeding notes. He also does stress testing and publishes the results.

When I see a “breeder” with a huge catalog I can’t help but think they have not done their due diligence.

5 Likes

It’s distastefull to always be a douche and not even prove ur worthy of self praise IMHO :wink:

4 Likes