Tuesday July 11th at 11am MDT - Ask Me Anything with Todd from CAN! Research

My published research is related to my work on tomato breeding for the OSU Vegetable Breeding Program. I don’t have anything peer-reviewed on cannabis.

2 Likes

Tomato research is good with us!

Todd,

As someone who has been involved in cultivation for many years and has been involved with regulatory compliance….do you foresee any legislation or regulation around the growing practices you just mentioned?

In commercial agriculture chemical NPK fertilizer is an enormous market with many political ties. An example we are encountering right now is the red tape to be allowed to sell our organic microbial in each state…what I found to be interesting was the fact that if we were to include NPK in any of our formulations then the requirements would be lifted… so basically if you are contributing to the chemical NPK problem by funding it…then you are basically pardoned from state regulations concerning commerce.

As you have said…it seems this industry is taking the direction to support large chemical based NPK based fertilizer companies instead of a more sustainable cultivation design which you mentioned…my second question is to your research experience…

have you done any research which would help to support your preference for cannabis grown using the cultivation practices you mentioned? Things like brix levels, higher cannabinoids etc. etc.?

Thank you for your time and dedication to our cause

Cody

2 Likes

In the case of mis-identifying Broad/Russett mites as TMV, if the action taken is immediate removal and destruction of infected plants, then the consequences may be less than devastating. If the action taken is remediation, then treatments for a virus are most likely ineffective on miltes, and therefore will assist the pest in infecting the rest of the crop, growing environment, tools, people, and equipment.

In order to mitigate or eliminate a pest or disease, you must be able to properly identify it, otherwise, the pest/disease will have a field day and put other crops at risk.

2 Likes

Do you plan to patent or trademark your new strains? It sounds like you’ll have put decades into perfecting them by the time they are ready, which is a big investment.

2 Likes

Using a dichotomous key to evaluate the observable symptoms is usually sufficient, I have never had the need to send it to a plant pathology lab (which is the best confirmation). You should always rule-out other pests and diseases with similar symptoms, for example look at a suspected TMV under a 100x disecting scope to look for Broad mites. TMV also has a swirly necrosis pattern that broad/russet mites do not show.

2 Likes

@Todd you mention “true soil” is superior to potting soil. For clients growing in heavy clay I assume you tend to steer them away from importing large amounts of potting soil. If this high dollar crop is grown on a site with heavy clay how do you improve the soil in short order?

1 Like

Looks like we’re officially at time for the AMA. Thank you @Todd for taking the time to give us such great answers! If you have time to answer the remaining questions either later today or in the next few days that would be greatly appreciated. A thank you also to all the great questions from the community.

1 Like

Good questions. First, I would hope to see better regulations regarding our use of natural resources, wastewater, solid waste disposal, and fertilizer applications (that apply to all types of agriculture), but it’s more likely to see these as cannabis-specific regulations, since lawmakers tend to over-regulate cannabis and under-regulate big agriculture. It’s much more likely that we’ll see cannabis industry self-regulation by industry organizations and 3rd-party certification of organic practices. Cannabis Certification Council will be taking the lead on this nationally soon.

In my research in this area, my data includes: growth rate, yield, disease infection, phytochemistry, developmental indicators, and subjective assessments of quality, morphology, and use.

2 Likes

We’re over-time, but I’ll answer the remaining questions… I farm in the Willammett Valley of Oregon, which is known for heavy clay. What I do is use a Bobcat with a 36" auger, and drill a 4’ wide by 6’ deep hole, then fill it with premium grade soil (true soil) that is approximately 15% sand 15% silt 15% clay and 50% organic matter. The plants will thrive in the premium soil and also grow into the native soil (which is still a pretty good soil).

3 Likes

I’m hoping to acquire Plant Variety Protection internationally or when the US finally comes around to granting it to cannabis. Currently I use Material Transfer Agreements.

3 Likes

The greatest difference is that sand, silt and clay are classifications based upon particle size. When you have different particle sizes, you have a variety of aggregate sizes and pore space sizes and shapes. Because every microbe has a unique requirement for size & shape, true soil provides a wide variety of microbial habitats, and thus a wide variety of microbes. Organic matter is very important for enhancing microbial habitat, but is limited when there is a lack of sand, silt & clay (as is the case for potting media). Therefore, soil has permanent homes & food for microbes, while potting media has only food and a temporary home.

The best options for microbial environments for hydroponic systems are: coco coir, peat, and Hydroton clay pebbles. True soil can be used indoors after it is initially sterilized (then innoculated with beneficials) however, it is very heavy and not practical for indoor operations and equipment load capacities.

3 Likes

Thank you all for providing great questions. I’m happy to dialog with you more in this forum on these and other fascinating topics.

If you’re in western Oregon, the Summer term of My Cannabis Horticultural Science Course starts this Thursday July 13 at 10 am at Cascadia Labs in Tigard, Oregon. Here’s more information: http://canresearch.net/education/cannabis-horticultural-science-course/

Best, Todd Dalotto

3 Likes

Russets are seriously the worst pest I’ve ever dealt with. Worse than powdery mildew, worse than spider mites too.

2 Likes

Please, please articles to read!

2 Likes