Tuesday Sept 5th at 11am MDT - Ask Me Anything with Sean from Seshat

Awesome!

Is there any research you’re able to share with us? We’d love to see whatever you have.

1 Like

Wow! That sounds very promising for the industry! I think you had also mentioned earlier that you will also be adding some more parameters to monitor THC/CBD potency do you have a projected time frame when those will included or is it to early to say? Also what are a few of the parameters that are measured in the soil and does it take into account things like Cation Exchange (CEC) for different soil mediums?

2 Likes

Hey Hunter,
On the PhotosynQ website there are tons of projects from around the world, but you do need a (free) account to view all the data. Some have really good project descriptions and outcomes like this one (On-Station evaluation of Long duration pigeonpea | PHOTOSYNQ) and others are referenced in the two published papers using the MultispeQ (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pce.12924/abstract;jsessionid=59F0F6063FA59C6E483471A7B333172E.f03t01) (http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/10/160592)

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for participating! That concludes today’s AMA.

Big thanks to @Seshat for hosting this AMA! Check out Seshat’s website if you’d like to learn more.

Feel free to continue asking questions if you have them, and hopefully Sean can get to them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Brendan!

We will have the model for THC/CBD prediction nailed by the time our Beta test is ready to roll out. For soil we have proven methods for measuring CEC, soil moisture, and total soil carbon. The device will be highly modular, so the sensor library will be totally customizable. What other sensors would you find beneficial?

2 Likes

We’ll be here all day so please keep 'em coming!

2 Likes

Hi Seshat,

Curious on the process of determining/increasing tetrahydrocannabinol potency of outdoor grown Cannabis in regards to harvesting? Is there a specific length of time that is garuanteed to increase potency as well as high terpene content in the flower itself? Growing personally here in Southern Oregon and would love to hear some science behind this in order for me to obtain the maximal potential for my medicine.

1 Like

Hey @sunbreezebrand!

In regards to increasing potency; The basic philosophy is that we will be providing you with a tool to analyze how your management practices effect the potency of your final product. The device itself will measure the potency (and some other biological parameters if you’re interested) and you can design experiments around your different management practices. For example, you could design and experiment to see if leaving your favorite strain for an extra week adds or diminishes the potency against a control. The experimental design is totally up to you!

Furthermore, if you want your experiment to be public, you can enlist the entire community to contribute data, and share in the value and knowledge gained.

2 Likes

This is a copy of a post I had earlier this week. It walks through how you would make and design a project, and how you can analyze measurements at the end. Would love to go through any part of it. :smiley:

You have options with what questions you can add, short answer or multiple choice.

For our first question we will ask what the CO2 Regime is, and according to the above post from @Hunter we are going to have 4 separate treatments, you can add 200 if you wanted.

Add a short answer for strain and we are off to the races, you can add as many questions as you want here, but you will learn quickly what is and what is not important to ask!

When you have ran your grow and have some final end product to sample, fire up the app, or computer application and find the project you are currently working on. You will be prompted to answer the questions you asked before like this…

You can go through and measure as many samples as you want. Takes about ~15 seconds and is none destructive, so light those bad boys up after partner.

When you are all finished, you can go to your project in our online platform and see how the different variables really affected your grow. Let’s start at the dashboard. From here you can go to other tabs, like the table/spreadsheet, graphing tools, and analysis, but before we do that, we need to break down the data so that it can be analyzed!

Let’s select our CO2 Regime to sort by, if we wanted we could sort by strain and regime, so maybe only look at Blue Dream at full CO2, but lets keep it simple and split the three main treatments into three distinct series. Let’s see first how each treatment affected the average CO2 of each treatment…

Wow! They sure seem different, but we can know for sure by performing some basic analysis. Let’s run an ANOVA test to see if there are actual significant differences between them.

Sure enough you can tell that there was a quantitative difference in THC potency depending on which treatment they received. This is a very simple, yet powerful example experiment to how powerful this device and platform can be for growers. Setting up projects like this are super easy, testing is even easier.

4 Likes

interesting - as a farmer I’d want to know not only THC/CBD levels but sex early if possible. Yes, a handheld device is just what we have been waiting for!

3 Likes

hmmm, not sure what we can do about sex quite yet, but something for us to think about, maybe there are some early photosynthetic parameters that indicate male or female! I do not know lol

2 Likes