Turning lights down

Hi Everyone

Im a relatively new grower based in New Zealand. Its still illegal here and im just growing in a little 60x120 tent. I have done three grows now one with Indica dominant clones (im guessing they were indica by the leaf shape and colouring) and then also two with sativa clones. Not sure exactly what the cultivar is as im just getting anything i can find. For the size tent i have ive been running a pretty big light. I used to run a 600w magnetic ballast but have since upgraded to a dimmable digital ballast. I noticed in the past that late inflower the buds close to light will start to show signs of stress like weird leaf growth and the buds will remain immature. They sometimes get quite close to the light like 30 - 40 cm. This time round ive dimmed my light down and put a 250 watt Bulb in and they seem to be doing alot better. Nicer stacking and generally less stress. Is this a common problem/solution?

1 Like

That might be your solution. Something to test is the heat that is coming off the globe between the flower site and bulb. Your distance seemed to be fine. but maybe a fan to disperse that heat coming off the bulb. Happy growing.

1 Like

Heat. I agree with crisj, mine get like that if the heat is high under the light. Inise 1000w hps lights. I can get my colas to grow all the way up to an inch or two from the light glass lens with no damage, but my room has awesome a/c in it with my thermostats directly under the light in the plants. So it’s still 77(25c) At the plant Tops for me. Its all about the heat control!!!

See i did think heat until last grow where I had the same problem with a cool tube and two clip on fans. I was only getting like 22 degrees on the canopy. I’m doing ac in my tent on the next one so maybe itl help