Types of Root Systems

super thanks!

if growing from seed perhaps you could even take more advantage with a long shaped pot.

5 Likes

Pheno hunting is an arduous task! I usually plant quite a few (like 35-50) at a time and select the best when breeding for seed. How are others here selecting quality phenos? I bet @Strainly has something to say on this subject.

On another note: taking a clone from any systemically weak plant can result in the systemic problems being passed down to the genetic replica.

This leads me to wonder: can genetic drift be fixed? How have other growers reversed failure to thrive in their clones?

1 Like

While popping a good number of seeds only increases your chance of finding interesting phenos to grow or breed, not everybody has the luxury/room to mature dozens of plants.

An alternative is to start from clones of known phenotypes. However, this comes with the risk of importing pest and pathogens into your grow environment, though there are several reputable nurseries offering quality clones these days. Just gotta do your homework before.

Tissue Culture might represent another better but more costly alternative in the future. At the moment, the variety of “tissue cultured” phenos is still quite limited.

2 Likes