UV sterilization for reclaimed nutes

So I was watching Nick on the canna cribs YouTube channel and one of his videos was about reusing the nutrient water in non hydro systems and sterilizing it. Well UVC is the way to sterilize the reclaimed nute water now I am an aquarium guy and do know about the inline UV light sterilizers and was thinking that yes the UV light would kill any and all bacteria both good and bad as well as fungus algae and such, but when I googled it a article from maximum yield came up and was stating how not only will UV kill off that stuff but also nutes such as boron and such. So the question is if using a UV light to sterilize used nute water for reuse yes we would need to add a new does of beneficial bacteria but what about the other nutes? And is it really worth it if it kills off the stuff and then we still have to replace the good stuff with more nutes which would yes save water but cost us more in nutes. Just a thought and i would like some honest real answers because I use advanced nutrients which is expensive and any way to save on nute cost would be awesome lol

3 Likes

It would be the same as say organic growing. You will have to amend your solution. But you’d need to test it to see where you are short.

1 Like

I was thinking that as well but how do you find what you are missing? Definitely missing beneficial bacteria lol but how would you know what else, the one thing I was thinking was checking PPM maybe? Idk with advanced nutrients ph perfect line you cant check the PPM so they say

Large scale grows will send out a weekly nutrient sample to a lab to what the plants are using in that given week so they can adjust for it. Weekly leaf tissue samples are usually sent too, and tell what nutrients are actually within the plant.

3 Likes

Hmmm a bit much for a home grown operation lol

1 Like

Yeah its a lot of work I’d say.
Based on constant variables. You would need to test every reclaim. Meaning you would need some pretty expensive equipment.
Some things like soil and nuets you don’t get a ROI on they are just the cost of doing business. As long as your product value is more then you electric then you should be doing well enough to just buy more nuets and skip all that extra stuff. IMHO

The tests usually cost less than $50 a piece, closer to $30 in my experience.

Soil tests are about the same, and can tell you what you might need to amend with to be ready for your upcoming grow.

1 Like

U can get tissue tests as samples right now if u buy some stuff from npk can;)

1 Like

Hahahaha that one made me laugh. I have been a large scale commercial guy for years, I have never in my life sent a sample of my nutrients or run off to a lab. Maybe if they hire minimum wage workers to chart feed. I do however, test my rez, then test the run off. That tells me what the plants are absorbing or not. Thats also why I keep charts of the ph and ppm in the mix. I have noticed over the last 20 flipping years of doing this plant, the biggest mistake I see made is by not staying with the kiss method. Its a weed, it wants to grow, We are just trying to grow it at a rate and the most perfect ways to make that bud come out as superior and peaked as possible. Im a huge fan of the super charged gardens for sure!
I have watched others send in Soil samples tho. An instructor at The college by me asked for some soil samples from me. I will be doing that next week. Just for fun tho