What are your biggest grow questions?

What are growers looking to know? What are the unanswered questions in the commercial cannabis world right now?

I want to know exactly what lighting is best. Quality and quantity. I’d love to know the hard science there. What else?

5 Likes

What are some cost effective and natural ways to eradicate fungus gnats?

3 Likes

From what I’ve read, fungus gnats like very humid conditions. If there’s any means of reducing soil wetness, that’s your best bet.

2 Likes

The fungus gnats like moisture, it can help to keep the top of the soil or medium drier…

Yellow sticky traps will do a great job to trap them and break the breeding cycle.

Lady bugs and other insect predators can also be useful depending on the growing style.

3 Likes

As Nathan and Hunter said, let your media dry! Consistent moist, cool conditions allow fungus gnats to thrive! Keep air flowing at the soil level and use beneficial bacteria , such as BT, to control the larva. Letting your media dry will help a lot! Also, preventing algae with help keep them at bay.

Get a soil temp prob and data logger, monitor your soil temps over a week and see what you are averaging. Most grows I have been in have soil temps drop significantly at night then they are lagging to catch up. Time your watering so the plants aren’t sitting in the dark with soaked rots as well.

5 Likes

great stuff casey! THNX i will put this info to the test

2 Likes

What kind of medium are you using? Hydro, soiless, living soil?

2 Likes

We use coco/paralite.

2 Likes

Coco/perilite for indoor. Living soil outside

2 Likes

Bumping this topic for the newer folks.

2 Likes

Yes there are great organic controls for fungus Nats. There is a nematode that paricidtes fungus nat larvae. It is used in hot house tomato’s. I will look up sources.

Look for the nematode
Steinernema feltiae

1 Like