What are your thoughts on the Louisiana CBD crackdown?

So the Feds have recognized CBD as legal, but state officials seem to be taking a radically different approach; namely by citing the owners of shops retailing CBD products. @memberdirectory: what are your thoughts on this recriminalization of CBD?

5 Likes

My immediate thoughts are that this will end up in-front of the Louisiana Supreme Court. I am no attorney, but how can you ban, or criminalize, a federally legal substance? That is like Mississippi saying protein shakes are now illegal…or chili extract for cooking is now illegal. I don’t know enough about the laws there, but this will not be the last time we will see over-reaching prosecutory policies aimed at the cannabis industry.

3 Likes

I think we need to change state laws, and federal laws. CBD has been the subject of recent police raids in MO and TX. Until state laws are changed, this will continue.

4 Likes

States need education. These organizations and agencies lack true experts or knowledge in the field. They are creating policy because the folks on these teams are clueless. We need companies, folks to help pushing local education to the authorities and other stakeholders involved. If they are shutting down anything regulated by FDA, that could be justifiable.

4 Likes

JMO (slightly off topic - looking at the industry from a larger focus) but, when there is enough money on the table for VCs, Lobbyist, and Politicians to make even more money - the path will open up like the Yellow Brick Road.

Any vice that was historically unpopular or even illegal (with the exception of Class A drugs) have found their way into the mainstream.

Class B drugs ( amphetamines and barbiturates ) are sold and synthesize by physicians under clever names - hence the opioid crisis.

There is a path - it may take a few years but, if major players keep buying stocks in the cannabis industry at the rate they are today - it’s a matter of time before demand for MORE is satiated.

Cultivators are the new Tech Geeks.

3 Likes

The southeast states that don’t have medical have high demand for CBD & hemp flower.

3 Likes

I live here in Louisiana. We have the crookedest politics and politicians in the US. If they can’t rape you one way or another on something to line their pockets through embezzlement and fraud they outlaw it. Take me for example…I get “special treatment” in this industry down here because I am like family to one of our senators. A little extra on the campaign donations and I can do pretty much whatever I like with no consequences. Not making this stuff up. It is called the “Good’Ol Boy” system and thankfully I am a part of it, for now.

’

2 Likes