What makes a "master" grower?

The Dunning-Kruger effect is the best of the ignoble prize winning papers.

2 Likes

I steer all the way around this term. not for the derogitory reference. More so for the generalness of the term.
Lets say a guy has been growing one strain for a few years. He has gotten pretty good at it.
Is he a master? Is it possible when presented with a new challenge in the same field, he fails?
How to quantify a growers worth is a age old question.

Me personally. i have spent countless hours, years. researching, practicing, failing, winning.All of it. I have tried to be as prepared as posible for any and all scenarieos. Does it make me a master? or just a cannanerd?

In reference for growing this plant. There isnt much you need to do. This is why im always preaching “Dont over complicate it” try to be as natural as possible.

Book knowledge and practicle application are two different things. Sort of like when a engineer says “Looks good on paper” but in real life it doesnt apply.

When people say they are master growers. I ask them first off. How many failures do you have? If they can count them, explain them, tell me what they learned. Then you are damn well close enough. Time and experience i guess. That or your peers nominating you as such.
IDK this is always such a tough one.

2 Likes

The secret has always been for horticultural crops, “KISS”. Keep it simple, stupid…

The days off only planting on the first, second moon of the year is dead.

We do have general methods or recipes for all forms of production. Field, Glasshouse and Contaned rooms.

The trick is consistent produce at the back end.

We all have the same basic problems, but we approach them in some novel ways. Take choice of growth media. I have done field, Greenhouse and grow room cannabis. And a mix of to of the three. It was not the crop I grew to make money, it was I wanted to know I could and I liked it. I don’t know one cultivar of cannabis on the back end, except I know what I like when I smoke it. I started in college with a secret society. It passed on lots of traditions. Such, plant the grow spots on graduation weekend of the U. All the state police are busy with parents acting stupid.

I made money growing flowers. Flowers that could not be put in a box a shipped half way around the and have any value. I picked a very specific market segment.
I learned how to pick cultivars that fit into my growing cycle. 5% less producing plants, ment the fields would be full in the summer, and early. We fallowed the greenhouse house in the heat of the summer. About two months a year. It was a great time to clean the houses from top to bottom. One year the greenhouse became a curing house for a large dry flower order.

Maybe the term master should go back to its roots. The passing of knowledge from teacher to disciples. Most good horticulture programs still take this approach today, with graduate students. With a close relationship between the major professor “master” and a student “disiple”.

I have known practitioners with only a good college degree in what we know call STEM and what we used to call liberal arts leaning to the science. Who where true master growers.

Maybe, we need to define a new nomenclature to discrib the disciplines that go into cannabis production. The same way viticulture has special terms for every major operation. There are master pruners in viticulture and rose growing. These people make as much an hour as the head honcho. A rose pruner has scared arms that look like snakes covering every inch of skin. But hands as soft as a babies. These guys are masters, and highly coveted. But, as growers they are not the best.

Food for the mind.

Ethan.

1 Like

I like this conversation. I’m bringing it back. Everyone please feel free to chime in on the topic :grinning:

1 Like

I’m starting to like the term more and more. After reading our GNET forums and such, I think there is a clear distinction between cultivators who are really into the science and production of growing masterfully as compared to the local dispensary that wants to just grow to have a brand or even the home grower.

I’ve had so many conversations with the full span of growers that there is a recognizable difference between the level of interest and motivation amongst them all.

Anyone disagree?

1 Like