What's up man, specific environment of different strains

New to the site. I really enjoyed studying the growers 101 course. I’ve had some crops caring for other people’s in the past but now I’m just focusing on experimenting with my own babies and most importantly having fun

. I have a green crack and mendocino. Gonna be starting a blue cookies in a couple weeks. Anyone know ideal conditions green crack or mendo like most? I’m talking about specifics not a broad rang saying 72-85°F. But more like 76-79°F being more precise. Any help is much appreciated. Happy growing!

4 Likes

Well, Green Crack is a sativa, so it can handle more light and higher temps, but doesn’t care for the cold. I can’t give you an exact temp for her, but that 76-79F range is great. I grew a Green Crack auto and got 6oz off of her.

Your best bet is to read up on the growing differences between indicas and sativas, and then plan your environment accordingly. I know that’s not the precise answer you’re looking for, but these are growing, living things, with many possible phenotypes per strain (unless you’re running clones), so each plant has its own needs. To try to pin exact numbers onto them can become a very frustrating thing when the plant won’t co-operate with your plans. :smiley:

I’m sure large scale commercial growers would have more exact answers, but they also grow in a completely different manner, with different goals/needs than most of us hobbyists.

3 Likes

If I wasn’t crazy or if it was more affordable I’d say that would call for like 10 different grow rooms and start making a log on each and see what happens at the end of the grow. Maybe be able to compile a chart for the main strains and use that for other similar strains. Like have a kush, purple, etc categories. Maybe I’m over thinking it but it would be an experiment.

2 Likes

Check out this thread for some specific numbers related to your environment What is the optimal temp and humidity for Veg and Flower? .

I noticed you’ve got a couple min/max thermometers. If you’re looking for something that will give you a bit more useful information, check out the “Smart Home Weather Station” from netatmo. It measures and graphs temperature, humidity, pressure, sound and CO2 ppm in an app. That way you can be sure your environment is staying exactly where you set it and focus on other things to experiment with. https://shop.netatmo.com/cad_en/weatherstation.html

4 Likes

I’ll definitely check that out. I have some experiments in mind and it would be nice to have each environment in check.

2 Likes

I try to do that, on a very humble level, in succession with just one room, but I find that the differences from each plant in the same environment are too great to draw conclusions: too many extreme figures that affect the averages a lot.

I am completely new to growing, so I try to find out the best pot sizes, temperature and humidity levels for a quite… lets say odd context: I grow on a small room next to the wood pane room. This makes temperature and humidity change a lot depending if the pane is on or off. And the weather here goes from 30°C in summer to -25°C in winter. I have just started my third round, but in the tho first I had too little lightning, so I guess I will start getting some results from now on, or at least I hope so. Until now I’ve focused on the height of the strains, as I need quite short plants to fit in the small room without been too unconfortable.

I am really interested in what you find out, or in any advice you can give.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a shot. I have a spare bedroom in just growing the the closet for now. I’ve started some herbs and veggies in aquaponics and the family loves getting involved with it. It’s kind of made me think about turning the whole room into growing and section it off. Would be a cool experiment

2 Likes