Why do all Street weeds smell the same

Why do all Street weed smell the same. Okay I just bought some Platinum Kush, Oreo, and gelato all of it smell exactly the same. as matter of fact for the last year everything I bought that somewhat good smells exactly the same I just been dealing with it not really putting too much thought into it but now that I’ve been growing my own for a while I see that none of them smells the same even if it’s the same strain all the stuff I grow smells like fire even if it’s not but it don’t smell like what I buy off the street are they putting something on it any thoughts

3 Likes

What I mean when I say all the stuff I grow smells different is that if I grow five Northern Lights seeds they will smell similar but not exactly the same no matter where I buy weed from it has the same smell not sure if it’s a marijuana smell but nobody else seems to notice

4 Likes

It could be that the street weed is growing in an environment that isn’t really being well cleaned after harvest or growing multiple strains in the same environment or not being dried or cured in proper conditions. If you find a plant that you really like the smell and the potency of, clone it. To me each different specific strain I grow has a similar smell to it, because of the genetic and terpine profiles. Someone saw a bud of my blueberry buds and told me it was bad because it’s a dark chocolate color, They started stuttering and back tracking when my bud looked just like a picture of a bud on leafly! Lol! Or it could just be a storage issue. Just my thoughts on the subject.

5 Likes

Good question, I’ve wondered the same. Guess only lab testing buds can deliver real answers.

4 Likes

The simply answer, if your “guy” isn’t just b.s.ing you, is the grower isn’t curing their plants properly… Every cultivar is a little different, in respect to what it requires to achieve peak flavor, scent, color, stickyness, and bag appeal. The problem is when you grow a room of dank and you mess up the cure by afew % humidity before you bag and burp it, you wind up with a turk bag full of mold and have to throw away all that bud. So most “street” guys are gunna take the “safe” proven route of over drying their plant quickly, then adding the proper humidity back while they cure with something like a bovida pack or 2 mixed in to keep the buds from turning into dust before they reach the customer… The ratio of heat and humidity in a drying room, added to the length of how long the plants dry and mosture content of buds before moved to curing, combined with the technique of the final cure is the recipe for the final outcome of smell and taste… It’s insane the amount of work in the final stage to achieve peak smell and taste. Most “street” weed is grown fast and furious and sold the same way. The crazy smells and flavors from dispo packs are from company’s that take the time and allow the resources the plant needs… If you grow and harvest them all the same, they will all taste and smell pretty similar.

6 Likes