12 Cannabis Strains That Are Mold Resistant

The Benefits of Mold Resistant Cannabis Strains

Bud rot is not only a nuisance for cannabis growers but it can also destroy a whole canopy when not detected soon enough. Once the grey hyphae of Botrytis cinerea claws onto one flower, it’s a matter of time before you start seeing the grey everywhere. However, the trick is to always catch it before it happens and “nip it in the bud” before more buds are affected. On some occasions, this can be a mean task, especially when the plants are subject to the erratic fluctuations of outdoor weather. But there’s always a way out; there are mold resistant cannabis strains that can out-do bad weather and still give high yields in spite of prevailing circumstances.

Landrace Strains

Landrace strains are indigenous to certain regions of the world and are adapted to the climatic conditions in that place. Most landrace strains are hardy and very resilient especially when subjected to trying conditions. Mold-resistant cannabis strains include:

1. Thai Sativa

Thai Sativa is a landrace strain that is hardy and takes rather long to grow, you may be waiting long into January to harvest.

Fortunately, this strain is mold resistant and can do well in humid environments. If you are patient enough this strain gives decent yield with large colas that are heavily resinous.

2. Afghan Kush

This Indica landrace strain traces its roots back to the Hindu Kush Mountains where it originated from. Over time, the strain has been perfected to make it even better adapted to diverse climatic conditions. Because it’s an Indica, this strain gives a heavy body hit that leaves users glued to the couch.

Growers like it because it is highly mold resistant and requires little TLC to thrive. It’s also revered for its high resin content that results in potent buds.

3. Durban Poison

Durban Poison is a 100% Sativa landrace strain that traces its roots to South Africa. Many good qualities make this strain favorable for most growers. Other than being mold resistant cannabis strain, this strain matures in a short time and manages to give decent yields. It has high resilience against elements of the weather and pests as well. Beginners will enjoy growing this strain.

4. Colombian Gold

Colombian Gold is a Sativa landrace strain that traces its roots back to the Santa Marta Mountains of Colombia. Originating from this mountainous region, this strain can weather through molds and pests while still giving high yields.

Mold Resistant Hybrid Strains

Cannabis hybrid strains are created by breeding two or more cannabis strains. Most hybrids will have a mix of Indica and Sativa genetics. Crossbreeding helps to create strong genetics by mixing favorable characteristics from different strains. Here are several hybrid strains that are resistant to mold.

5. A.M.S

A.M.S is the acronym for anti-mold-strain. It is the result of crossbreeding Swiss Sativa and Swiss Indica strains. The result is a strain that is hardy, durable and quite cerebral. This strain does extremely well in both indoor and outdoor conditions without much effort from the grower. It is especially loved for its mold-resistant properties that give growers peace of mind especially during the critical flowering and storage periods.

6. Frisian Duck

This is a cross between Frisian Dew and the Australian Duck Foot. The result is a strain that is resistant to pathogens as well as molds and mildew. This strain has been described as “an oddity” because of its appearance: the leaves are oddly shaped and resemble the webbed feet of a duck.

Frisian Duck is resistant to mold and mildew making it an easy strain for beginners. Mostly it does well in a sunny climate but can fight through the rain due to its mold-resistant properties.

7. 707 Truthband

This California strain is legendary in many ways. It’s highly resinous, highly resilient to molds and pests, gives extremely high yields and packs a potent punch. Users consider it a mind-bender strain.

Truthband does well both indoors and outdoors. Being a native it takes longer to mature indoors, but the yields are expected to be high.

8. Stress Killer Automatic

In recent years, cannabis ruderalis, which was once considered a wild strain of weed, has been used to create amazing hybrid strains such as Stress Killer Automatic. This strain is highly tolerant of high humidity levels and manages to keep molds and mildew at arm’s length.

As the name suggests, this strain is good for relaxation and subduing stress. Growers will love it because of its mold-resistant properties.

9. Royal Moby

Royal Moby is a choice strain for growers in high humidity regions. It thrives outdoors in a hot climate but can also do well in an indoor setting. It’s a strain with strong genetics, being a cross between the popular White Widow and Haze strains. It’s another strain that’s resistant to molds and mildew.

10. Strawberry Cough

Strawberry cough can handle high humidity levels and so does well in hot humid climates as well as rainy weather. It adapts to different climatic conditions quite easily making it attractive to most growers. It is also a flavorful strain that rewards users with a potent head buzz.

11. Grape Krush

With generous sprinkles of purple, Grape Krush is a beautiful sight to behold. The strain is also highly resinous; during flowering, the purple hues will be decorated resplendently with silvery-white sparkling trichomes. The parents of this hybrid strain are not known, but the breeder is suspected to be DJ Short.

This strain is resistant to molds and can do well in humid environments. If you are growing cannabis outdoors where the weather is erratic this may be the right strain to try.

12. The Purps

This is a Sativa dominant hybrid strain that was developed in Mendocino County of Northern California. It’s another of the mythical purple weed varieties that are much sought after. The plants grow tall and may take longer to mature. However, the strain is highly potent and popular; it bagged the 2007 trophy for High Times Top Ten List. It’s a strain that’s easy to grow because it can adapt to fluctuations in humidity. It is highly resistant to molds.

Alchimiaweb lists over 200 mold resistant cannabis strains that you can access through this link. Some strains will be hardier than the rest, but you should expect all these strains to have a decent degree of resistance to molds.

There are a few other measures that can be taken to reduce the risk for molds and mildew. This includes using Grove Bag liners that employ Terploc technology to prevent the spread of bud rot during curing and storage. Starting with strains that are resistant to molds is doing half the job. The other half rests in exercising vigilance to protect your buds once harvested.

Check out our Build-Your-Own-Variety-Box tool on our website to custom order a box of the bags and sizes you are most interested in trying out at the exact quantity level you want to trial on your end.

And follow us on Instagram for cannabis tips, insights, news, and more!

5 Likes

There’s also a string called Nicole Kush that I grew for my first grow ever! It was made in Amsterdam crossing kosher kush with something called Nicole. Little is known about this train but it is mold resistant and idiot resistant

5 Likes

Great list and very useful info. I’m pretty new to CBD and cannabis industry in general, so I’m clueless about many things. It is good to read the posts written by the experienced members. Thanks for sharing and enlightening!

3 Likes

I didn’t even know that there were some sort of more resistant strains to be honest. I mean i heard about the afghan kush that it usually grows in pretty difficult weather conditions, but i couldn’t imagine that they are so different. And i also have never tried the hybrid strains, i was a little afraid that they have some sort of ‘‘chemical’’ compound. I only once tried the grape kush i think, or maybe it was something else, i do not really remember. As i remember at greenhouseil.com they were also trying to make some sort of a hybrid and one of the strains as i know was the swiss indica.