16 Year Old Swazi Seeds

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/2/120221-oldest-seeds-regenerated-plants-science/

6 Likes

I went searching around for more specific information around my chosen solutions. Found only these 3 differences for ExploGrow, Nitrosol and the Hydrogen Peroxide in their soaking methods.
ExploGrow

Nitrosol

Hydrogen Peroxide

And found another soaking method.

Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Thanks @Ladithief

4 Likes

When I checked up on the seeds abit earlier. Only one seed cracked, but no taproot yet. It was from the Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.

4 Likes

That is what I use every germination, about a 10 to 1 ratio of water to 3% h2o2. Worse like a champ. Good luck my friend.

4 Likes

Just a foot note @docdre I have not watched that video yet…lol… I have always wanted to check out his store as I am only 25 minutes away… but it will be awhile now before the border is open…lol…

1 Like

@Ladithief, that link is his own playlist of germination. It’s 4 video’s

2 Likes

The Temperature at the seeds. (78,8 Fahrenheit)

4 Likes

Look up Bill Graham, Planttc he is experienced in geminating old seeds.
It is the same process as tissue culture, basically.
Soak the seeds in H2O2 solution to sterilize.
Then in a vitamin sugar solution, to rehydrate the seed with what time has deteriorated.
Then a careful spouting process.
The same methods were used to revive the ancient cannabis seeds found in the Chinese tomb.
I have a collection stretching back to the 70s so this method is the only way I’ve had consistent results in geminating old seeds.
Luck has alot to do with it, too I’m sure.

6 Likes

Some seeds (especially those grown outdoors in full sun) have very thick shells or are oily and require scarification, it don’t hurt a seed so why not eh? Always be careful when handling your seeds as your fingers can add enough oil to seal the shell up so no water can enter. 85-87°f always worked for stubborn seeds :wink: looks like h got the right info on the go already :wink:

4 Likes

Growash is even more gentle to seed wash with :wink: great stuff!

5 Likes

Thanks for your input @hoppiefrog
The older the seeds get the harder the shell becomes aswell. I did make a scuff box and a little pressure vessel to overcome the hard shell issue for the next round to get something to sprout. I’ll be combining the 2 methods, scuffing the seeds first and then soak them in the pressure vessel.
I Never handle seeds with my hands, I have big tweezers for that, with nice grip.

I can’t get Growash. I don’t do online shopping and no nusery here has stuff like that.

4 Likes

I’m following along @docdre! Can’t wait to see what happens! I hope you get lots of females growing!!

4 Likes

@solairecapital is this the video you were referring to?

If it is, then yes I have seen it. This video is the reason for the sugar water in my resurrection process.

4 Likes

Makes sense they need to get energy from somewhere

3 Likes

Update on the seeds. Nothing new to report.

Some more Methods to resurrect old seeds.

Screenshot_20200410-162324_Firefox

3 Likes

Some Warm Water Advice from the GN Forum.

3 Likes

One could try a Euklonia Maximus kelp seed soak for optimal germ potential…it’s amazing the results one could find

3 Likes

Thanks @dollhouz for your input.
Currently the Umya Multi Kelp that I use, has Ecklonia maxima in plus Laminaria digitate and Ascophyllum nodosum.

3 Likes

Following a idea given by the video’s @Ladithief suggested I checkout.
Adding a cardboard box over the heat mat, to distribute heat more evenly, It Works :muscle:

I placed it in the box last night to test out before posting it for you guys. It makes quite a difference in distributing the heat more evenly.

7 Likes