4 site RDWC system

I noticed one of the chillers says it needs maintenance, does anyone know what sort of maintenance they need?

Edit: I found what I’m looking for 2 parts distilled vinegar and 3 parts water once every 2-3 months

6 Likes

Update! The roots are going throught the hydroton now and are looking great.

16 Likes

Nicely done white roots

10 Likes

Ok just got the chiller yesterday. Let it sit for the reccomend time.

Doing a little set up and leak checks.

Got it all calibrated and running correctly to the current temp.

I put it next to my sump pump.

Here is what the resivoir gets up to 88°! This is why i needed the cooler. I set the cooler to hit 75° i may go to 78°? Havent decided yet what temp im targeting. Anyone got a tip on water temp?

I took this pic before the cooler drops the temps and i want to see if they perk up a little. I really wish this chiller wasn’t made in china…Kinda ruins it for me. But try and find one under a grand lol.

12 Likes

I have been told in the past to keep the reservoir temperatures between 68 an 77 degrees. Too cold will stunt the plants and too high will cause root problems and bacteria growth. I am looking forward to see how this chiller will work for you!

6 Likes

This chiller says it will only hit 75 but ive already seen it hit 73 well see what happens. Thanks @nacho151

6 Likes

I think it would be great at 75, as long as it doesn’t have a big swing maintaining it. A swing of 2 degrees up or down shouldn’t cause a lot of issues!

5 Likes

Hey i just checked it. Temps at 77 and as luck would have it the cooling light started flashing and the compressor kicked on.

So far its working great. There perked up nicely

15 Likes

If you don’t mind, could you post a picture of how you hooked it up to your reservoir?

8 Likes

So less than 2hrs to bring it down 12dgrees. It also brought the room temp down 4° from 87° to 83° well see what electricty it uses now.

10 Likes

Um yes hang on i got like 2% battery

8 Likes

Ok the room is at 80 now sweet!

And the lights ppfd is at 420 lol im going to lower the light because its at 38% brightness. And im going to top them and switch to summer spectrum in a week. Im running a 15 min sunrise and sunset mode also.

Here it is next to the sump pump in case lol.

I just ran the hoses under the lid. I didnt feel like drilling the lid and all that because it would be hard to move the lid on and off and around. Im considering adding them to the side of the resivoir at the top and cutting the cord on my water pump to drill a hole in the side for the cord. But it woukd be more for aesthetics. Because the resivoir is really dark inside and last time i ran the big 8 site system it made no difference having the lid slightly ajar. So i feel like it’s work that really doesnt need to be done :man_shrugging: it may bother me later but who knows? And i might have to fix it due to ocd!

Heres the water return line zip tied to the resivoir lol i was testing the chiller and i though i need to zip tie that that tube down and then it slipped out an soaked my shoe in like 2 seconds.

It’s hard to see the little pump that feeds the chiller.

9 Likes

What size chiller did you end up going with? Edit: I aim for 68-72f for water temps on my ebb and flow

6 Likes

i went with the 42 gallon chiller.

10 Likes

Ok ppms are where i want them.

Lights are going to get bumped up tomorrow. And this pic is 3.5 feet away from the light. So i can either lower the light or turn it up. Now im thinking ill lower the light and see if it heats the water more?

this is 12" from the light and at 46% power out of 860 watts.

This ones growing weird look at the new growth its odd!

So far so good.

15 Likes

My root zone was set to 78 for rdwc.

8 Likes

I know a guy that runs his at 80. He said it won’t cause problems until 82 in his setup.

7 Likes

Temps are better now. If i leave the door open in the day time the temps are 76.6° perfect. Humidity 59%

11 Likes

@PreyBird1 . Trying to find things that aren’t made in China is a difficult task. I here that.

8 Likes

Love watching your grows @PreyBird1 .
Always amazing.

8 Likes