6 week Veg in 4 inch Rockwool?

Hello All,

My first post!
Thinking of starting a new 4x4 foot grow. The plan is to buy some rooted clones that will go into 4x4x4 inch grodan cubes for 5 to 6 weeks of veg time.

For the switch to 12/12 I will place the 4x4’s on top of the Hugo 6x6x6.

I guess my question is, has anyone else ever done it this way? Will it be enough room for the roots? Why do I see some growers placing the cubes on top of the huge Rockwool slabs when they haven’t even vegged that long?

I will have 9 plants in a 4 by 4 foot space with 1 Spyder 645 led.
Any and all input is appreciated!

2 Likes

Welcome to GN!

I don’t know anything about the cubes. Is there a reason for 9 plants though? That seems like an awful lot in a small space.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

I guess I’m trying to maximize the space. I think I’ve seen some growers crowd up to 16 plants in cubes under 1 light in that amount of space, but I could be wrong. I need to decide if I should veg for 4 or 6 weeks because I do have some height constraints.

2 Likes

My thought was that you could fill that area pretty easy with 2 or 3 plants. I’m doing 3 in about that size right now, and I’m still filling my space enough I questioned moving one out.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of plants ! Just curious but I’m guessing you’re working with autos??

2 Likes

Wait @TheMadFlascher, proving I’ve learned something being on this forum :rofl::rofl:

If he’s buying clones, they wouldn’t be auto’s.

Most of my auto’s have grown as big as I’d want any photo to grow.

2 Likes

oh yeah some of them autos can get pretty huge!

3 Likes

with clones. plan is to grow some mothers eventually

2 Likes

@dunbar, LOL, You’re ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !! HAHA caught the old man with his brain revven but stuck in NEUTRAL!

Funny, I saw the numer of plants and my brain said gotta be autos and just ignored the ‘clone’ statement !!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Welcome to growers network. It’s nice to see someone else trying Rockwool

I don’t know why anybody else does what they do, as far as slab versus cube. But I grow in Rockwool. And I do stack cubes. My last indoor I did six plants in a 2 x 4 tray putting 3 inch cubes on top of 6 inch. Worked great. This time I’m going to plants in the same space. I’m going to use slabs on the bottom and 6 inch cubes on the top. I’m going for a long veg. If you’re going to have that many plants in that small of space, that’s the way growing for profit people do it. The idea is more plants less vegtime. I have acquaintances that I’ve seen do it this way. Usually they don’t veg their clones more than 2 weeks. If they go any longer the plants just get too big and overcrowded. Plus the fact they want their crop done in 11 or 12 weeks. I am not in a hurry, I believe you get a better yield and better quality with a long veg time.

Are you going to top water or flood drain? Rockwool requires lots of water often. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I’ve seen growers do 16 plants and yes I’m assuming they only veg for 2 weeks at most. I’m leaning more towards 3 to 4 weeks of veg since I will have 9 plants. I will top them and train them a little which will help me keep the height a little lower. I will be top feeding them.

1 Like

Happy how long did you let them veg in a 3x3 cube? I know rockwool is very similar to hydro, but 3x3 isn’t very big. Do you treat it like hydro?

3 Likes

To be honest I can’t remember. I’ve kept plants in veg for several months in solo cup with Rockwool. They probably be very healthy and happy for at least four weeks.

2 Likes