AC in grow tents

Hello @Hobbyist! I need some of your collective knowledge. Specifically, what considerations does a novice grower need to make when trying to control the temperature of a grow tent (think 4x4)? Additionally, what’s your recommendation for an air conditioning unit?

Appreciate the help!

9 Likes

I have a stand alone a/c for a room size 1200sq ft in a 8x8 grow tent works great

8 Likes

Sustainability of controlled conditions i.e. outside influence, control switches to fine tune the consistency if required. Ensure the exhaust/fan system is correct size for grow area. And also keep in mind the light is going to increase the temp when on so account for the lights on , lights off temp and rh swing

12 Likes

Proper air flow also! air into tent or grow area on the bottom and air out at the top to carry away the heat. There is a 7 degree temp difference between the floor and the canopy. I mount all ballasts and inline fans out of the tent to help further reduce heat. Buy the longer ballast cords when buying equipment so you can put them out of the grow area.

11 Likes

is this stand alone unit outside of the tent ?
if yes do you need to pump/inline the air into the 8x8 tent?

6 Likes

My 4x4 is piped into my hvac system both intake and exhaust with a true inline carbon filter hooked to the exhaust

7 Likes

good advice

4 Likes

I have an all in 1 unit that is a humidifier, dehumidifier, and an A/C. It is thermostat and RH digitally controlled. It can collect the water and b emptied (a total pain in the ass twice a day sometimes) or I have it drained out to my sump.

Cost 399$. Well worth it

10 Likes

what specs on all in one unit?

3 Likes

My grow room is 10x12 but I have 2 tents 2x4x5 with 1000 watt leds in each tent in the winter it’s easy for a perfect grow as I live in a small 2 bedroom apt. and opening 1 window in the back I can control the heat in the grow room. In the summer I run a 1600 btu air conditioner and keep it at 68° F that keeps the tents pretty close to 75° F. Hope this helps

4 Likes

The things to consider the most is the type of lighting (led,hid or fluorescent) and how much heat it is going to generate inside the tent as well as the ambient temp of the surrounding area (is the tent in a hot/cold garage or inside a temp controlled room). My recommendation would be to run a 600w HPS in conjunction with a 6" inline fan to exhaust the heat and humidity for a 4x4’ tent. Either hook up the fan to a temp controller or a speed controller to adjust how much air flow depending on temp. (for a novice grower… keep it simple)

6 Likes

No my standalone AC unit is in the back corner of my tent I have air blowing in my tent from my lung room and a fan blowing the bad air out

4 Likes

No It is in the tent it is a three in one AC humidifier and dehumidifier

5 Likes

The amount of lighting any type are going to play a big factor as well as ventilation. Standalone ac unit is good if your going to use it in the room you have your tent as this unit would be taking up more space in a 4x4 tent and heat created by the unit as well. Just keep the air flowing through the tent , you tight for space. Good luck.

5 Likes

@djdj hey welcome to the community. We are all a big family. If you need help @preybird1 someone like this. And then we can see you need help.

3 Likes

A key insight for me was understanding how much easier it is to use the room as a buffer. Controlling the temperature and humidity of the room allows you to reuse this air that has valuable CO2, before you dump it outside and bring in more fresh.

4 Likes

What make and model is it? I’m looking for another for my newest addl tent. Thx.

2 Likes

Your home hvac system heats cools dehumidifies and humidifies for free all you need is some flex duct topipe in and out from one intake to one exhaust no need to have a lung room or waste electricity taking perfectly good air and putting it outside or where ever

againjo need to dump it outside your hvac system will take that bad air recycle it and reuse it saves a boat load of cash on electric bill

8 Likes

Yes i want to do that but i have no central hvac. I have a shitty swamp cooler. And and heater is 32yrs old im kinda screwed. But i knew there was a way to do inline air filter. And you nailed it. Im so glad i saw your last post and this one again.

4 Likes

The inline carbon filter was actually pretty easy to diy all I used was 2 5 gallon buckets 1 lid some self taping screws silicone and a 6 inch duct collar

6 Likes