Accredited schools

We are starting to see more applicants with “degrees” from cannabis “accredited” schools. Anyone have any input on the legitimacy of these “schools”?

3 Likes

I also would like to know the answer to this question. Thanks for posting this query, @thomasmckinnon

Growers Network will begin offering classes soon! Finally, the industry will have a place for all information related to running a successful cannabis business all from the source you have come to know and trust: your fellow professionals at GNET.

Can anyone speak to the legitimacy of these so called “schools”? Who is accrediting them?

1 Like

I am not particularly fond of them.:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Having taken some classes to see what they were about, I think they offer some basic/fundamental knowledge for people with little to none. Will you be a “master grower” or whatever the certificate says? Absolutely not, there is really no replacing experience.
As an employer I would think it shows some initiative on the potential employee’s part, but it would not be the only factor in my decision on hiring them…

3 Likes

What did you find to be the most valuable part of the classes you took, @Dewb?

1 Like

Well I took a grower class and a bud tender class. The grower class was fairly basic. Mostly info that can be found in several grow books/bibles, nothing advanced at all.
The bud tender class I actually learned a few things. Most interesting was about how the body metabolizes THC, converting delta 9 to 11 hydroxy etc… it helped me understand why low dose edibles just don’t do anything for me.
All in all I think bud tender training could be helpful because of the need for them to understand how the products might affect different people. As for the growing part, that’s iffy. Kinda of like reading a book on martial arts and then thinking you’re bruce lee, to me any way. But I guess the value would be learning the fundamentals of cultivation.
@Growernick
For those with a few years growing I don’t see any real value in taking the classes unless you just want that piece of paper…better of just buying jorge’s bible and putting in work…

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was suspecting! Thank you for checking one out!

My choice… I like a fresh eager mind. That’s where your apprentices come along. Its a skilled labor. One day they hopefully supercede their predicessor. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the great synopsis of the class, @Dewb! I agree with both you and @KrisGrows on this: there’s a lot of valuable info to be gleaned from one of these classes, but nothing beats the value of practical experience.

I also think @KrisGrows makes an excellent point: there is something to be said from learning from somebody with a lot of experience. The teacher learns a lot from the experience as well. Both minds grow.

I had to fail a few times (only one plant died) and learn the value of proactive IPM, the importance of a clean facility with proper quarantine SOP’s, and learn a LOT of discipline in order to teach the craft of cultivation. I am so humbly grateful for the opportunity to teach others.

On another note: My former apprentice is still running the facility in which I was formerly employed. I see him from time to time and it’s so amazing to watch him grow!

Back to the topic at hand: I think we will see more and more accredited schools stepping up to offer cultivation classes. You will see this happen in Canada soon now that the country has legalized adult-use cannabis use. I know many agriculture professors here in the states just dying (literally in some cases) to teach cannabis classes…we’re just waiting on the federal government to catch up with the times and allow for it.

2 Likes